Cant log in to own network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike D

Beta member
I have a Lynksys 4 port router, a cable modem(moterola sb4200) a desktop running windows xp home and a laptop running windows 98. I have Mcafee Personal Firewall. My problem is that I can set up the network easily, but I cannot log onto it from the desktop. On the desktop I cannot even see the network, it says I do not have permission. Both computers can access the internet so I know I have that set up right. I have disabled the microsoft firewall so that is not the problem.
Thanks for your help
Mike

Mike, a common cause of this is the firewall settings on both PC's. Check to see if the computers are part of the trusted zone.

We definitely need more information.

You state that the desktop can get online, yet it cannot see the network.. are you stating that it cannot see the laptop? Can you ping the laptop? Which computer is the firewall on? Attempt to disable the firewall and test it this way. If you do not get a successful ping reply your blocking yourself from seeing the other computer.

Sorry for the delay, I have been out of town for a while. I tried disabling the firewalls(I use Mcaffee on both machines) with no luck I cannot access the network from the desktop at all. There are 3 entries under the entire network section in windows explorer. Microsoft Teminal Services Microsoft Windows Network and Web Client Network. Mshome is an entry under Microsoft Windows Network but when I click it I get either a "Unable to browse network, contact your administrator" or nothing. I am runnung windows xp home and only have one account on it. The firewall is set to trust entire network.
Mike D

Well, lets start with logins. How are you logging into the Windows 98 computer? How are you logging into the XP computer? If the usernames are the same, do they have different passwords? If the usernames are the same then maybe you should make sure (for simplicity purposes) that the two computers are a part of the same Workgroup, MSHOME.

-Mike

Just a quick addition to what Mike said,

Since you will be working in a workgroup environment instead of a domain (To see what difference between the two click here) You will want to standardize the admin passwords on each machine for easier management.

Make sure the admin account AND passwords are identical in each machine, this will make sharing resources much easier since the accounts will authenticate with the same user name ans password. (Plus its easier on you because you don't have to remember all of those different passwords).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom