Can't find network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Baseband Member
Hi chaps, Fishy here again
I'm trying to print from a laptop though a wireless router to another pc which has a local printer. If i browse for a network printer, the laptop can see the other pc, but it can't see the printer that is attached to it. The laptop is win98se. All the others are winxp sp2. I have another notebook which found the printer no problem. I've enabled file and print sharing on all the machines. All the firewalls have print sharing enabled too.
Can anyone please advise?
Fishy

maybe 98 cant see the new printer because it is a fairly new model but Xp computers have updated drivers

Can you see other shared folders, or is it just the printer that you cant see?
Sometimes you will need to actually type in the address of the printer when you are trying to add a network printer in 98 eg. \\computername\printersharename to get some connection.

AMD64boy mentioned a driver and he has a good point, you need to have put the additional drivers to support 98 ont he machine that the printer is attached to.

you have to manually install the driver for win98 or 9x OS. NT, 2000, XP does it automatically

On the machine that has the printer, look in the printer properties. Is it shared? If not there is your issue.

Right click network connections and go to properties. Click the File Sharing button. It should bring up a menu with 2 choices. It should be self explanatory from there.

SHAWN said:
On the machine that has the printer, look in the printer properties. Is it shared? If not there is your issue.

Right click network connections and go to properties. Click the File Sharing button. It should bring up a menu with 2 choices. It should be self explanatory from there.
it's already shared. read his post. he said his other laptop can connect to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom