can't connect to wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryc86

In Runtime
I'm in a wifi spot for the next couple of days so I brought my laptop along. I'm supposed to have an internal wireless card in my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1721) but when I open my network connections nothing shows up. I'm flipping the wireless switch back and forth, apparently it's supposed to light up when I've connected to the network (or when there is one available) but nothing's happening. any ideas.

Well my Inspiron 1501 has the WiFi light on if htere is a WiFi spot anywhere around it can connect to. So if it is not on that would tell me that there is not hotspot there.

yeah that would make the most sense, but my pda phone is picking up and using the wireless network easily. So there is one here. Not overly crucial to fix as I'm here mostly for some chill time anyways, but I will soon be moving to an area with free wireless internet and would like to figure out how to get it working (haven't tried it until now)

Well my first guess would be to check that you have WiFi on.

Would have to be Vista unless he installed XP himself.

yeah I'm running vista and I flipped the wireless switch on and off and went into my network connections and nothing's showing up. I've been having troubles with my network connections manager before. The little computer in the taskbar always has a red X over it and never says I'm connected, even when I'm at home successfully using my internet. So it could be something with that but I don't see the wireless card or its device manager anywhere.

ok, assuming Vista then.
Have you...
1.Turned the wireless switch to on
2. Clicked the start button, then gone to the 'Connect To' link

And in there you haven't seen any wireless networks?
Just to clarify something, are you literally flipping the switch back and forth? if you are, don't. Just leave it on.

One other thing. How strong a signal are you/people-around-you getting?

edit: At home are you connecting wirelessly, because if you are you aren't missing the drivers

err... the dang drivers again. I should've figured that was it with all the problems I've had with them. okay thanks, I'll see about udating/installing the wireless frivers when I get back home when I can hook this back up to the internet, unless it can be done without internet access.

soulphire, yeah I did all that and the wireless signal is pretty strong for everybody and on my pda (which is how I'm typing on the forum right now). I don't know about at home because I don't have a wireless system set up yet there, but I suspect it's the drivers as Mak said, because I've had problems before and it almost always comes back down to the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom