Can't connect to wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be used only if you have it setup to act like a switch or a passthru device. I think those are the terms i am looking for. Basically you can use the Desktop as a gateway for other devices like a XBOX 360 to connect to the network if you did not have any other source to connect with.

I think that is the case. I dont know for sure as i do not know how your settings are setup or anything. This is all jsut thoughts going thru my head right now which is dangerous at best. ;)

Haha. Sometimes dangerous thoughts are needed to solve problems.

As far as I know, I do not have anything like that set up.
So this isn't a concern that would need to be addressed?

I would double check the settings. Depending on the settings if my guess is right it can be used to steal your WiFi and get online. Do you have WPA or any other security setup on the WiFi network? If you do then there is nothing to worry about.

The wireless network has WPA encryption.

What I don't understand is why the Belkin adapter is showing up as it's own network? It is listed seperate from my wireless network that my laptop is connected to.

What kind of adapter is it? Is it a USB Devices that can be used to get WiFi to a desktop?

That device is basically like a gateway device that i talked about above. It can be used by other devices to connect to the PC and use that as a connection to the internet.

Is there any kind of documentation that came with it to tell you how to set it up?

It did come with a manual. I will take a look at it when I get home from work and get back to you on this too.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad to be of some kind of help. Hopefully some of this stuff works for you.

it is impossible for me to find a good signal now. my laptop has a good signal and even if i put the wireless adapter right next to the laptop, I still don't get a signal. this adapter used to work great.

i am noticing that in network connections, the wireless network connection icon will go between "not connected" and "Acquiring network address", but it will also say "Firewalled"

I tried restarting the router but that didn't work either. for whatever reason, I can't even log into the router page either. verizon sucks! might end up having to call them to find out whats going on, and also why i can't get into the router webpage.

looked at the manual for belkin and it didn't say anything about it being a gateway device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom