Cant Connect Using Wired 100ft. Cable Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poemaster

In Runtime
I tried using Wireless and it sucked so I want to use Wired again I run a 100ft. cable form my computer to my router and under connections it says I am connected but doesnt show a default Gateway and I cannot use the internet any help?

Hello,

Have you restarted the router and modem along with your PC?

Cheers,
Mak

make sure you don't have any crimps in the ethernet either. you could also have a bad cable. but thats doubtful

Have you disabled your Wireless card? It shouldn't matter, but sometimes Windows will get confused if you have two connections. Make sure your Ethernet drivers are installed and make sure you have an IP address on your PC. If it doesn't get an IP address, check your router's settings (may have MAC address locks enabled, if so, either add your Wired MAC or disable the locks). If that doesn't help, try Repairing your connection using the Diagnose and Repair (I forget what it's called in XP, I'm in Vista) option.

Well, before you haul another 100ft cable out, just do a quick continuity test on the cable in question. If all the connections are getting thru, I doubt it'd be the cable's fault

i thought the length of a cable doesnt matter.........does it? I have a 35ft cable i can use that barely reaches my room, i just need to use a modem or something n then add a 3ft cable that goes straight in my room to where i want to put my computer. Right now my computer is in the game room across the other side of the house, broken lol.

The length does to an extent. Depends on his setup and what he's using. 100BaseT is what he's probably using, meaning that he has 100 yards (about 300 feet) to work with before he'd run into losing data signal.

The length shouldn't matter in this example, and i don't think the cable is the issue since he can see the network (or is connected w/o internet). Have you manually entered the default gateway? Have you rechecked to make sure your default gateway is correct on your router? Do you have your router giving out IP's? Have you tried an ipconfig/renew in the command line?

The length does to an extent. Depends on his setup and what he's using. 100BaseT is what he's probably using, meaning that he has 100 yards (about 300 feet) to work with before he'd run into losing data signal.

The length shouldn't matter in this example, and i don't think the cable is the issue since he can see the network (or is connected w/o internet). Have you manually entered the default gateway? Have you rechecked to make sure your default gateway is correct on your router? Do you have your router giving out IP's? Have you tried an ipconfig/renew in the command line?

i know that im getting 3 or 5Mb/s, n on the computers at school have only 256mb of RAM but the internet is so freakin fast! Way faster then mine at home even through wired, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom