cant aquire ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc30629

Beta member
I just got my computer shipped back from florida where i was living. I plugged it into the internet connection here at my new place and it says it "cant aquire a valid ip address" and "limited or no connectivity". I brought my laptop to the connection and plugged it in and it worked fine so i know its something wrong with the computer itself. It is a 5 month old dell dimension 3000 with nothing special about it. I have been into the command prompt and done and tried to renew my ip but that didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be and how to fix it?

Are you trying to connect to it wirelessly and the problem occur? I don't quite get what you mean by bringing it to the connection and plug it in...

the house has an ethernet hub in the basement that goes to every room in the house. I wasn't sure if it was a problem with the connection in the wall or if it was my desktop. I brought my laptop in and plugged it into the wall just to check to see if it worked. My laptop worked when plugged into the wall but my desktop doesn't.

i ran the command ipconfig/renew and it said it cannot contact my DNHP server or whatever those letters are.... i forgot on my way to this computer. haha anyone?

Did you enable the network card to obtain the IP automatically from the DHCP server? Maybe it is still configured using its static IP. Go to network connection and check the TCP/IP settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom