can't apply GPO settings to users

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have done all that but when i log in from the XP client, i run gpresult and there is a message:
The policy object does not exist

if you mean the event viewer of the xp client when i run gpresult no there's nothing about it

i read about another user seeing an error in event viewer's system log where the client could not query DNS for the domain controller. the client could have been logging on using cached credentials. The error description included "group policy aborted"

I would check the DNS Host(A) record (the IP to name resolution of the clients). I would delete them and rejoin the clients to the domain again making sure their TCP/IP setting points to your DNS server.

Law said:
I would check the DNS Host(A) record (the IP to name resolution of the clients). I would delete them and rejoin the clients to the domain again making sure their TCP/IP setting points to your DNS server.

Couldn't this be accomplished by ipconfig /dnsflush

There should be something in Event viewer that relates to either the acceptance or denial of the start of the new group policy, especially after you run gpupdate /force.

blitzkrieg1 said:
Couldn't this be accomplished by ipconfig /dnsflush

There should be something in Event viewer that relates to either the acceptance or denial of the start of the new group policy, especially after you run gpupdate /force.

No, I'm talking about the forward lookup zone on the DNS server, you have to manually delete it. Then let the clients join back into the domain again.

The Host(A) file is the name of the client computer plus the FQDN of your domain.

You can use ipconfig /flushdns also to discard negative cache entries on the clients.

Law said:
I also think it has to do something with the policy you are using in GPO, are you using the computer configuration or user configuration or both?
\

i dont think this is the problem because gpresult reports 'policy not found' i wanna say permissions issue but i suppose it could be a networking issue.

after running ipconfig /dnsflush in the server (which i don't know if it has anything to do with what i found)
i have found something in the event viewer during the login.it is event 1053 and says:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (No mapping between account names and security IDs was done). Group Policy processing aborted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom