can't add a shared printer on windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

chueh

Beta member
My laptop is using Windows 7, while my desktop is Vista. I created HOMEGROUP on my windows 7 laptop already. I made sure I chose "home" networking but NOT work or public. Everything seemed fine. I saw the desktop PC name is on the homegroup of the laptop. However, it just cannot network....I was trying to share ONE printer.

questions:

1. My laptop is having internet connection through the router that is connected to the desktop PC. Isn't this in fact "networking" already, since the laptop picks up the signals from whatever is connected to the desktop PC? How can the laptop be connected in one way but not another?

2. Why does the laptop FIND the desktop PC name in the homegroup by itself on the laptop (I did not type it in; it searched it and found it), while not being able to network to the desktop PC or whatever is connected to?

3. When I tried to add a shared printer on laptop, the laptop could not find any data or printer. It told me that my router needs to be reconfigured, updated, or changed. Similar question as the above: How can the laptop be connected to internet, if my router is not up to date? It does not make sense to me

4. Basically, I don't need to have a network to share files, but ONLY share a PRINTER. 4 years ago or so, I was using XP for both my laptop and desktop PC with a shared parallel port printer. I did not even set up a network back then, but just added a printer to my laptop. It worked. Now, I have a laserjet using a usb port, so I tried to add a new printer to the laptop, I clicked the second one that's for networking, bluetooth, and usb port. Nothing works now... Is there any way that I can just add the printer successfully?

Thanks

Mindover, thank you. it works now, after I applied SHARING for the printer.

By the way, how do I share files? I did go ahead and chose the sharing option for all. For example, I want to share Oulook messages and contacts from one computer to another

thanks

I got it now. I googled how to share files between computers. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom