cannot see my other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please explain how exactly you have your cables running. What is plugging in where (router, modem, pc). This is going to be helpful in finding out what is happening.

i have two machines, bot h running windows xp plugging into a 4 port ADSL MODEM (speedtouch 510). the modem has a built in router.

thanks for posting the new screenies they help a bit, but not as much as i hoped. at this point the best that i could do is take some wild a$$ guesses. i would love to double check your hardware setup and see if i couldn't figure out where the IP conflict is coming from.

i think you should have someone knowledgable check this for you, sorry can't be much help. the wizard error message could be coming from anything as far as i know. i have never seen that before.

i pinged localhost(127.0.0.1) and i got 100 & replies back.
but not 10.0.0.2, can you tell me who assigned me 10.0.0.2

i also have only one adapter installed(intel), whereas it shows two realtek and an intel. perhaps that is where the problem lies.

can you tell me how to get rid of the realtek adapter?

Go to the device manager and check under "Network Adapters" this is where that wizard goes to when indexing the NIC's.

If you have the realtek with the yellow traingle/exclamation mark, just uninstall the device. Even though that should have disappeared when you removed it from your PC.

Another question, do you have Zone Alarm or Norton Internet Protection installed???

I will check for the yellow mark, and yes i do have norton firewall.
i was talking to some one last night and he suggested that it might be the firewall.

can you tell me how to disable it.
i thought pinging 127.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 is the same, but the guy told me that it was not.

can you tell me who assigned me 10.0.0.2.

can you also tell me if there is an Idiots guide to ip addresses,NAT and basic stuff i need to know some place on the net

No problem,

Here we go... looks like there is alot to do here.

TO DISABLE NORTON FIREWALL:
"Right Click" on the firewall icon in your task tray, the blue planet near the clock, and click on disable. you are going to get a message saying that its the end of the world because you disabled the firewall, just click yes and your done.. firewall disabled.

IDIOTS GUIDE TO NETWORKING:
Actually, you can use the sub-forum here, it has some good info on the basics of networking. You can click here to get into the sub-forum.

I think this whole issue can be resolved by setting up your firewall so it can communicate with each computer. If you can access the internet from both machines, yet can't share files then the problem is most likely to be a firewall related issue.

thanks dude
that worked, it was the firewall which was the problem.
but now that i have disabled my firewall, i am exposed to the internet, is that true?

can you tell me how i can configure my firewall. is there a
primer/tutorial some place.

If your are going though a router than that is the only thing that is visible to the internet. The internet will see your router as the "computer" that it is connected to. The router will have the ip address assigned to it from the isp, the router will then assign its own local ips to the network neighbors. It will then use Network address translation to make sure the packets go where they need to go. So in other words, you should be fine....

If you want a non-evil firewall, go with sygate personal edition, its never bothered my games, would have to test it with a network though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom