cannot see my other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I have stuck two computers to my ADSL router(Speedtouch 510). I cannot see them from the other computer.

I have shared the folder, and done a search for the computer, but it has turned up nothing.

i did the ipconfig thing on both.
the first one turned up 10.0.0.5 and the second 10.0.0.1 (i don't think there is any harm in giving you these details, is there?)

i tried to ping 10.0.0.5 from 10.0.0.1 and vice versa in both cases it said Request timed out.

i also unplugged the ethernet cable from one port and plugged it into another port of the MODEM, but there was no change in the IP address(10.0.0.1)

mike he's using winXP i am sure. rookie1010 you need to goto your network connections and get the properties from it. turn off internet connection firewall. reboot your computer and wait 60 seconds for the computer to show up in network places.

Thanks for cutting to the chase! :) This is where I was going to go as well.
Hope this helps rookie!

That is a simple procedure...

Simply, open up your "Network Places" folder, click on the "View Network Connections" link on the left hand column, now you should see your network adapters (NIC Cards, Modems and Firewire IEEE 1394 if applicable).

Now you right click on your device (If you use Dial Up, your modem, if you use broadband via an ethernet cable, your NIC card)

Click on Properties.

Once you get the "Local Area Connections" property box, click on the "Advanced" tab and right at the top you should see a section titled.... "Internet Connection Firewall" just make sure the box is NOT checkmarked to disable the WinXP firewall.

Also, just as an FYI, you can enable/disable your Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) from this same location.

:)

i found out that the firewall box is unchecked.

the pc i am working from is 10.0.0.5, i tried pinging it but the request timed out.

i ran network diagnostics and this is what i got

Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
IP Address FAILED

MAC Bridge Miniport
IP Address FAILED

i have got 2 network cards on board, one integrated, and the other a PCI based one.
i tried both, with the same results.
i can not self ping. I disabled the PCI based one and tried, no luck.

the other computer is good to go, it self pings, no problems reported in network diagnostics.

Please help me to get my first LAN

i disabled the onboard network card from the BIOS but no luck.
i still get the same results

i enabled my onboard network card, removed the pci based network card and still got no luck.
the machine is not pinging itself.

for some strange reason it sees the onboard Intel PRO/1000 and the removed Realtek RTL8139 and it tries to ping itself twice at 10.0.0.2 twice and fails.

it also tries to ping the MAC bridge miniport(what is this and can i give out its IP address ?), it fails again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom