Cannot ping when server & pc on same switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

htcs

In Runtime
I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out. In brief, this is what's happening.

Brand Spanking new server 2003 R2 Standard using IP 10.10.10.11
PC cannot communicate with the server if they are both plugged into my new gigabit ethernet switch. As in a matter of fact, any computer or other server connected to the switch cannot ping the new server.

However, if i plug the server into another switch, all other pc's and servers can communicate with the new 2003 server without any problems.

The switch does not have any software or firmware to configure - it's a simple gigabit ethernet switch.

All IP addresses are static.

I've put together a PDF that shows how my switches are connected.
Switch #2 & #3 are both 10/100 switches, but they are connected by another cable. Because of this, switch 2 & 3 act as 1 switch.

To interconnect them, there is an ethernet cable going from 1 to (2&3), and from (2&3) to 4.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why i wouldn't be able to ping that specific server if the computer i'm trying to ping with is on the same switch????

Desperate for help!

Tom

Attachments

• Switches.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 278
Have you tried moving the server to different ports on your switch? What is the model # of the switch? Does it have an uplink port?

I'm guessing you may have used a wrong port on the switch. Take for example, most switches come with uplink port which can use straight-through cable to connect to other switches. This uplink port usually occupy port 1 on most switches so you can't use both at the same time. Testing other ports on the switch is a good idea.

Sometime at the enterprise level, some switches have port filtering that stop newly added devices from disconnecting the old device and adding to the network, but since these are basic switches I wouldn't worry about this feature since it's rare to see them unless you own expensive business switches.

None of these switches have an uplink port. They are all have the auto-sensing feature for either strait through or cross-over cables.

I'm starting to think it's a problem with the Server itself. I've been playing around a bit more and found that if i plug the server into another switch - all those computers on that same switch cannot ping the server!

I'm starting to get a headache! :s

Hardware firewall (D-Link) for Internet only (nothing to do with internal network). Firewall on PC's are all off as well as on the server itself.

I'm not sure exactly the problem. You can power down the switches to clear the MAC address table and let it reinitiate again. Unplug the power, try doing so the switches can rebuild it's MAC table.

1 other thing, with auto-negotiation and duplex, you didn't mess around with the NIC setting in device manager or anything?

I have not changed any NIC settings on the Server or on the PC. Both the PC and Server are new installs (less than a week) - the server has no other software, the PC has the basics (office, Firefox and printers).

I will power cycle the switches... just need to wait until everyone leaves for the night.

I didn't even think about the switches holding a MAC table.

Thanks - will post results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom