Cannot find other computers user account

Status
Not open for further replies.

V-tek

Baseband Member
I have two computers setup in my house, one is directly connected to the router and the other is wireless, they are both desktops, im trying to share one folder between the both, i can see the folder but i cannot access it, it says i have wrong permissions, although when i try to grant permissions, in the Sharing and Security > Permissons > Add > Advanced > Find Windows, i cannot find the other computers user name, under the locations window, i only see my computer, not the other one, i have created an exception in Windows Firewall and all anti-virus are disabled...anyone know what i am doing wrong. Thanx in advance

Xp Pro on both machines?

Disable your Firewall for the time being.

Both in "WORKGROUP"?

Permissions should read :
Everyone : Full Control

File Sharing enabled?

Can you ping the other machine?

Both machines are MCE, firewall is disabled, both in the same workgroup, Full Control is set to everyone, Simple File Sharing is disabled, but im trying to ping the wireless computer, and its failing.

Well if you can't ping the other computer then you can't expect file sharing to work so let's concentrate on the wireless computer for now. Can the wireless computer ping the other computer? Can it ping the router? Can it ping www.google.com and get online? Do the same with the other computer but for the exception that it canÂ’t ping the wireless computer so just ignore that part and make it ping the router, www.google.com and get online.

Yes both computers can get online perfectly fine, the wireless computer can ping the hardwired computer, they are both currently connected, its just the hardwired computer cant ping the wireless one.

Seems like a firewall issue or ICMP echo request not turn on. Check control panel/windows firewall-Advanced tab. Click on ICMP setting and verify that "Allow incoming echo request" is check. Then on both computer right click on the network connection and select repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom