Can you use a router to re-route a certain web site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I have a Linksys WRT54G. My mom and I were going back and forth and joking around and I threatened to adjust her home page "timmcgraw.com" to go to something that she absolutely hates. I want to do it as a joke till she figures it out.

Is this possible with this router?

Nope, all you'd be able to do is block the page through the router. Custom firmware MIGHT be able to do that, but it'd be better to adjust the hosts file on her computer to point to the loopback address, and then run a webserver on her machine to pull up an html file when that page is visited.

I would suggest NOT doing this. It's plain ******baggery.

[EDIT]LOL... didn't know that was on the filter list. Sorry.[/EDIT]

Kind of the reverse logic in thinking what a router (a real one) can help you do. You don't need a router to redirect a single windows computer to another website. All you need to do is edit their hosts file (like the above suggestion) or add a false dns record. The hosts file would be easier... just add an entry like

Code:
216.92.184.62     google.com

and when she tries to go to that site, it will come up with something else yet still have the original address in the url. at least, it should... depends on the browser i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom