Can you hook up a 2nd router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technocowboy

Beta member
I need to know the steps involved with connecting second router and avoid all risk of looping the system. This is what I've heard. Please correct me if I am wrong and advise me of other steps.

1. Plug in to Router B with the computer only. Do not connect Router B to the internet.
2. Pull up the router's web access and disable the DHCP.
3. Set the router to a static IP address.
4. Plug Router A in to a normal jack (not an uplink) on the back of Router B.
5. Reboot or reset the internet settings in connection properties.

Is this all?

What is it your trying to do just add more wired support to a network or wireless for that matter, because if you are you could just go out and buy a cheep wired switch or wireless access point.

I work in the oilfield installing networks. Many times I get to a trailer and a worker wants to hook up a his router in his trailer. I already have a router connected to the modem in the main control trailer. This seams to be interfering with control trailer routers' functions when they do this. It sometimes crashes the entire network. I need it for the switch capabilities and the hotspot it gives the worker.

yes.

disable dhcp and give it a static ip that is free. then use only the switch, leave the internet/wan port empty. if wireless, set up ssid and security as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom