Can A ISP Block Router Usage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumarrrr

Solid State Member
Hi guys,

I was wondering if a ISP can do the above.
My router seems to be working fine, all the lights are lighting up.
I also was able to update to the latest firmware.
I can also connect to the net when I bypass the router and use a direct connection.

Does anyone know what's wrong ?

And your problem is what? Connecting more than one computer, connecting wirelessly? What router are you using, and what ISP do you have? We need details.

And your problem is what? Connecting more than one computer, connecting wirelessly? What router are you using, and what ISP do you have? We need details.

1) I can't connect to the internet when using the router.
2) Wired Connection / Linksys Router ( WRT54G )
3) ISP : StarHub ( Singapore Based )

Are you having the issue every now and then or what?
As I know Time Warner has this issue and I suffer it during the late nights and what not, so your ISP might be acting up. Try calling them and see, won't know until you hit the source.

Did you reset the modem after hooking up the router so that the 2 devices communicate?

Not that anyone around here likes me, but I have dealt with this garbage before, unless you have AT&T (which you aren't), I doubt the ISP would put such restrictions in place.

I would say that you should be prepared to maybe replace the router, especially if it is a Linksys Router. However, Mak there has a point, try performing a hard reset, if you don't get anywhere, you could try re-flashing the firmware, but that is rarely effective.

Turn off the modem and then turn off the router, then turn the modem back on, wait for your connection lights and then turn the router back on and see if you can get any status information about of the web-based access page.

Hopefully some of this proves helpful...

It's not very "techie" advice, but call Linksys and let them troubleshoot it. I have the same router and, while it is good, it can be a real pain at times.

is this cable or DSL?

if DSL, reset the modem by poking the little hole at the back (this should put it into bridge mode), connect the router and set the router to PPPoE and enter your username and password, it should attempt to connect automatically. if not, go to the Logs section and see what errors it is displaying.

if it's cable, hook up the modem and router, call your ISP and have them run some tests to see if they can see your router. once again, look through the Logs for error messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom