Can I use an extra router as a WAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
It seems logical to me that a router could work as a Wireless Access Point, and I've been told by a friend that there should be an option to set it up as one on the settings but I can't seem to find one. The router is a D-link 524. I've looked through the settings and can't find anything related to it. If I can't do that could I simply setup a second network with the second router but have it connect wirelessly to my first router (which has a wired internet connection) for internet?

Just set up its internal access point as you normally would (set security, name, etc) and then find the option to disable the DHCP server. Apply that, reboot the router, and plug it into your main router via an Ethernet cable on one of the LAN ports (NOT the WAN or Internet port).

The problem with that is the second router is too far away to run a cable to the first router. That's why I wanted to down-grade its functionality so it only worked as a WAP. I can disable the DHCP fine, but I can't see any way to get it to wirelessly connect to another network, it will only set up its own. Any way around this problem?

You are referring to a wireless bridge mode rather than wireless acres point. 3rd party firmware will allow the 524 to operate like this, however, d-links out of the box firmware does not have a bridge mode option. Unless something has recently changed with the newest version of their firmware for the 524. Pretty certain that you would need OpenWRT or DD-WRT though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom