Can i stop others from using my internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

In Runtime
hey... ive got a dlink dsl-502t, and ive got other people living in the same house as i am... i dont want them on my net, so i was wondering if i was able to set a password for my router, so anyone trying to use it would have to enter a password first.

i know a mate got his adsl passworded, but im not sure if that was his software, or his hardware doing this. If this is a software solution, then its useless cos they just bring there own computer up to the modem and hook it up.

any ideas are appriciated

thx

blocking innternet

You can go inside your router using your defualt gateway. Then all you need to do is go to security, and enter in the ip address of all the computers you dont wat to give access to the internet. That should work.

The best way I can think of is to use the access restrictions to block accesss to the net for all IP's other than one. Disable DHCP; set your comps IP manually, and then allow access to your IP.

Above are some ways you can do it. I would recommend you disable DHCP because it makes it to easy for someone to just plug into your network and use the internet.

Put a good password on your router to keep people from getting into it's setup page.

If your router has some form of Access Control, you can allow specific MAC address to use the internet. (a MAC address is like a social security number for a computer, all network card have a unique MAC address burned into the card, none are the same). Allowing just your MAC address will let you use the internet but will deny any other.

thank you for your suggestions... this will help me keep everyone out i dont want to...

i also have a brother who uses the net, and i wanna let him use the net, but only after asking me.

is there a way to disallow him use to the net untill i allow him somehow, short of going through the modem setup and changing his access?

Chrono said:
thank you for your suggestions... this will help me keep everyone out i dont want to...

i also have a brother who uses the net, and i wanna let him use the net, but only after asking me.

is there a way to disallow him use to the net untill i allow him somehow, short of going through the modem setup and changing his access?

Simplest solution will be to just lock up your modem.
Then anybody who wants to use your net will be required to ask you for the modem!

Sevenor said:
Simplest solution will be to just lock up your modem.
Then anybody who wants to use your net will be required to ask you for the modem!

hehe, an effective solution, but doesnt always work, as he sometimes just plugs in while im on... and if i do anything about it, he will just ***** to his mom... then i get an earfull of crap :angry:

is there no way to make it like dial up, so the password must be entered to connect?

theres gotta be some way :(

I'm not familiar D-Link router. However, if your router is anything like my Linksys router, you may be able to configure your router to filter out/block his pc through the use of his pc's ip address. There is usually a place in the router configuration somewhere where you can do that. It maybe named Filter. Search around and try and experiment with it.
Good luck! (Pity your brother though:p )

I have a few suggestions for you......

FIRST: (consider opt A OR opt B)

- OPTION A: If you are (for the most part) the only one using the DSL line, then don't use a router... Just plug the computer directly into the DSL modem. Next, you would install the client to connect to your DSL account on the PC. this is usually on a CD packaged with your 'installation kit'. While DSL & cable are 'ALWAYS ON' connections, they DO NOT work if you don't have the username & password.

- OPTION B: Leave the router hooked up, but REMOVE the account username & password for the internet from the router when you are done using the net. This way, the router won't be connected to the net, and NO ONE will be able to use it UNLESS then know the username & password for the account.

SECOND: Don't try to block a PC's access by IP address, because it would be too easy to get around. With my D-link router (and I assume yours too) there is a way to enable MAC Address filtering. Each NIC (Network Interface Card) has it's OWN UINQUE MAC address, and not as easy to change as an IP Address. Simply log into your router, Find the MAC filtering tab, and then put in your computers MAC Address (there SHOULD be an option to pick from a list of computer names in a drop-down menu and just select your computer, and it will auto populate the field for you. THEN, change the MAC filter to "ENABLED, and ALLOW only addresses listed." The other options are "OFF" and "ENABLED and DENY addressess listed". You COULD block the MAC addresses of others, but it is MUCH easier to just allow your own, than to have to input a number of different ones.

THIRD: Change the IP address of the router, so that it isn't using the default 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1 in non D-link routers) IP address that came with the router.

Example: My network is set up in the follow subnet: 10.10.5.24/29
Router: 10.10.5.25 - 255.255.255.248
Etc, etc, etc, for 2 host PC's and a PS2.

FOURTH: Set a password for your router... It is in there in the settings.... My D-Link has TWO usernames & passwords.... 1 is the Admin, and the other is 'user' for a READ ONLY view of the config. MAKE SURE you change the 'user' account name & password so that no one can go and look at you network's IP info.

FIFTH: SAVE THE ROUTER CONFIG ON YOUR COMPUTER, as any bonehead can give you a hard time by reseting it to factor defaults.

Those 5 steps are pretty straigh-forward, and should keep you solo on your internet connection. Please note that there are some ADDITIONAL steps you can take if your router is wireless.

Good Luck
-Zach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom