Can i have 2pc's that are networked both runnin off my aol bb conn at same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paultheend

Beta member
I have 2 pc's networked i can get them to go online seperately using the main pc's adsl modem. (obviously internet conn shared) but don't seem to be able to get them to both be on at same time. It is actually possible to do this is'nt it? (i used to with my 56k dial up) Would be grateful of any help :)
thnks
PaulTheenD

going from 56K and broadband invloves a different setup. what you need is a router. that is what you need to share your internet connection with multiple devices. routers usually have built in switch that can be used to create a network.

there are 2 kinds to choose from: wired or wireless router. if you want to roam freely in a 150 foot radius with a notebook computer go with wireless G. either way you go you need to also have network cards for each machine to connect to the router. with wired networks the cable to use to connect them is CAT5.

also know that since routers have switches, you are networked and can share files on this network between all your computers. you can share printers and anything else connected to the network

just go to your local computer store and tell them you want help choosing a router and some cables to share an internet connection. they will ask if you want wired or wireless.

Thanks for your reply i already have the 2 pc's connected over a working network (file/printer sharing) my internet conn is shared.
My adsl modem is connected to my main pc (here on known as pc1) i can be connected to the net on machine 1 but when i try to connect with pc2 it takes over the modem and disconnects pc1 and then connects itself instead of actually sharing the modem.
I hope this makes sense to u?:)

i have the amd 2500+ with the barton core runnin @2396mhz with a temp of 47deg
gigabyte ga-7nnxp mobo, 400fsb, dual ddr 400 serial ata/raid and the dual phase power
768mb of ddr 400
ati radeon 9000 128mb
2x80gb maxtor hdd's @7200 and 1x 40gb maxtor@7200
intel 100/1000 lan card
1xcd burner50x12x50 and 1x dvd pl 16x
yes i do need a dvd burner
i am running winxp pro

sorry i thought this was a clear question about sharing AOL broadband. after re-reading your question i am having a lot of difficulty trying to understand what you want to do. here's what i am understanding from you:

you have broadband. the modem is connected to pc1. you have some kind of ICS internet connection sharing enabled which is used by pc2. you made no changes to your ICS setup from the previous 56K ICS setup.

to share your DSL using ICS run the ICS setup again or use sygate home network ICS software. not sure if windows can use ICS with broadband. the best and most common way to share your internet connection is get a router.

plug the modem to the router into the WAN port. plug each computer to device ports 1-4. the router can be uplinked to your existing network hub/ switch by connecting those to the router's uplink port. this expands the number of devices connected to the router also.

after setting up the hardware run the windows internet connection wizard. this is in the options of internet explorer browser or in network connections folder.

wahey it does'nt matter now cause i have sussed it!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D (without the router) i used a vpn instead and it works sound!! thnks for your help anyway tho:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom