Can This Be Done Or Should I Try Another Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboy2u

Beta member
OK HERE WE GO... I HAVE ONE COMPUTER HOOKED UP TO MY CABLE MODEM NOW AND WANT TO ADD MY SONS COMPUTER IN WITH THE SAME LINE... IS IT POSSIBLE TO RUN 2 MODEMS ON A SINGLE LINE IF IM USING A BI-DIRECTIONAL SPLITTER AND AMPLIFIER ON THE LINE...IF SO ...WOULD I ALSO NEED A SECOND IP FOR HIS MODEM.. REALLY CONFUSED HERE... TONS OF READING AND NO REAL DIRECTION...OR WHAT OTHER SUGGESTIONS ARE OUT THERE? PLZZ HELP :eek:

Get a router and attach both of your computers to it. That should take care of all of the problems..

you also should fix your keyboard. there is this key labeled "caps lock"...... just goto your local computer store and ask for router recommendations. they will ask if you want wireless or wired. wired is potentially faster, wireless is more expensive.

1) Purchase a simple 4 port router (linksys or netgear)

2) Disconnect your computer from your modem.

3) Use a Cat 5e. patch cord to connect your modem to the "wan" port or "uplink" port on your new router.

4) Plug both of your computers into your router.

currently your computer plugged into your modem is using the IP address from your ISP. When you add that router in, it will use that IP address as the "outside" address and it will assign new addresses to the computers you plug into it. So, no, you will not have to buy any IP addresses or anything. Depending on your ISP that router should just plug right in with no configurations needed.... (at least 70% of the time in my experience). The router will come with newbie instructions to help you out but dont be afraid to ask a red shirt monkey at comp usa.

That will give both computers internet access. To further the process, you can go one more step forward and network them so they can share printers/files.

Howstuffworks.com is a great site to learn some basics at.... here ya go http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

wown.com is a killer place for starters as well. it will have Everything you need to know. http://www.wown.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom