Can connect to internet but not server

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipper35

Beta member
I have a friend that can connect all his computers to the internet and all but one can connect to his server. He has about 5 workstations and up until yesterday he had no problems. Then all of the sudden one workstation will not access his server. You can not ping the addy or name, it does not show up in the Network Places and search for a computer does not see it. His IP on the workstation is correctly assigned by the DHCP properly and is the same range as all the others. His mask is correct also. This computer conects to the internet just fine through the same router as all the rest of the computers. They have access to the internet just fine also.

Forgot to add, he is using the Windows Firewall. I forgot to ask if it was set to no exceptions, would that cause this behavior?

If you want the other computers on the network to be able to access services on the server then you'll need to allow the access to these services throuh the firewall. e.g. if the server is running some webserver then open port 80.

Can the server ping other machines on the network? the windows firewall has an option to respond to (or not respond to) ICMP echo requests - otherwise known as pings. ensure that this is set as you want it. But first of all give it a try with no firewall enabled and see if everything works then work from there.

If you can't see the server from "My Network Place" it's a netBIOS issue or firewall. I highly doubt that the Windows Firewall will interfere with netBIOS, have the firewall disable for the duration is recommended.

Client can't ping the server? Then try using the server to ping the client.

Windows XP Pro on the client, Server 2003 on the server. The other clients are a mix of 98 and XP.
Can't ping either way. None of the workstations can see the problem workstation and the problem workstation cannot ping any other clinet or the server. Nothing special running on the problem client, it only has to connect to the server to run their acounting software.

I really think it's a netBIOS issue and firewall. Here's what you should do to fix it. First check that NetBIOS is enable in the NIC TCP/IP Properties.

Step 1) Disable the Windows Firewall on the problem client

Step 2) Open up command prompt on all computer and do nbtstat -R

Step 3) Then do netsh interface ip delete arpcache on all computer.

Will do, thanks. Step 3 includes the server I presume. I will let you know what the result is.

step 2 and 3 is for all computer. step 2 clear out old NetBIOS configuration just incase it might still be using a wrong one. step 3 clear out the arp cache which is the IP address to MAC address resolution just incase it's using an old configuration. They should all be apply to all computer.

I saw on #2 for all and presumed 3 was for all also. He seems to be up and running again now, so that must have taken care of it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom