Can a computer be part of a domain AND a workgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
your desktop is prolly already setup in a workgroup. Login to the laptop. Open network places | entire network | Microsoft networks. I think your gonna see two workgroups. open the one that isn't smoc, this should be the workgroup that holds the desktop. Open the desktop and open the share.

now this assumes that you have already setup file & print sharing and share permissions on the desktop. The xp firewall my also get in your way. Personally, i always turn off simple file sharing as well.

Rawan AbuSalman said:
thanx...the image is getting clearer...

then...the thing i want to do is for this laptop to be part of a workgroup (when it is plugged at home/in range of wireless router) and also be part of a domain when plugged in at school (smoc)

Is this possible??? All I want to be able to do at home is to share the files and the printer...and maybe play games on LAN....

Is it possible?

when youre at school, login to smoc

when youre at home change it to XXXX this comp.

I got the crossover cable today....and the minute i plugged it it worked!!!! All these days I spent trying to figure out why it is not working went to waste!!! The good side of it is now I know a little more about networking...

Anyway...yes, i set the file sharing and the permisions and everythign...and I was able to connect.....

I still have one question though.....
I have put several folders on this laptop to be shared...(and I can see them on my desktop...) but the question is when my mother is connected at the network at school...will these files also be shared???? (with all other computers connected to the smoc network????? This might be a problem if yes!!

depends on the setup. with simple file sharing turned on, anyone prolly has access. But if its turned off, the user accessing the share will have to enter a user//pass to access the resource.

access the resource being read/write/execute the file/folder/printer/etc

what do you mean "simple file sharing turned on"

How do I configure that? Ya..requiring a username and password will be good...but how do I turn it off?

(some times...it aksed me for a username and password...but I didnt know for what...so I guess I just put the username and pass for the account....I might have also each time put a different one (one time my account and pass and one time my mothers) and I guess it worked....)

but how do you turn this thing off to make sure that it will always require a password and usernmae...(is it a username and pass you set or is it of the account you are trying to access its files?)

ya...thanx...I ran across simple file sharing when I was checking something in tools....
I read the article...(thanx again for it btw)...but there is one problem...when I try to add users either from my laptop or desktop...I cant enter the location exept that of the computer which I am on...threfore, I can add my username on the laptop to the ALLOW LIST on my desktop and vice versa....

Isnt there a way to change the location to that of a network?

just add the same user//pass to each local machine. in a workgroup environment the network location dosent matter.

setup file security for that user to restrict//allow access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom