Campus Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryColeman

Solid State Member
I am a student on a campus network connected to the internet through the network. I am not sure about the details but there is some kind of packet shaper that puts online gaming on a very low priority. As far as I know it is done on a port by port basis. Is there a way to change which port I use to connect to an internet game server, or any other way around having my game be given such a low priority?

Talk to an administrator of your campus network, if he/she approves your request to give you game higher priority, my guess is if that he/she should be able to sort it out.

Yeah, but chances are if they did it on porpose then they did it for a reason.

Btw, dnoch, your sig is too big. Resize it according to the rules before it gets taken away.

Your usually not supposed to play on a campus computer network are you ? They probably dont want unwanted gaming traffic when they probably have enough traffic to manage.

Yeah gaming takes a lot of bandwidth, and if even one person started gaming... well you most likely won't get that approved. There's no way to change the port that you play games on either. The port you play on is server controlled, and even if the server has a non default port, most games still use atleast some of the default ports for communication (such as Punk Buster; there's no way to change that). Best thing to do on a college campus is to find other guys to play with so you can play on the local network. The packet shaper won't screw up your gaming if you do that.

The only problem with that is that I/we are trying to play guild wars. Guild wars constantly streams updates so we were thinking that it may have been misinterprated as some sort of p2p software. We had been playing it for a few days at the low priority setting but now it won't even log into the cnet server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom