which cables to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazza

In Runtime
my step dad is building a house, and wants to run network cables throughout the house in the walls. what type of cables should be used? cat5e? cat6? anything else?

thanks

hazza

Go wireless unless you have a reason to use cables, such as running a server or running a home bisineus.

Go with Cat 7.

# Cat 7: An informal name applied to ISO/IEC 11801 Class F cabling. This standard specifies four individually-shielded pairs (STP) inside an overall shield. Designed for transmission at frequencies up to 600 MHz. :eek: :eek:

Just kidding, the prices for that would be outrageous. Cat 6 would be more than enough if he didn't want to go wireless.

wireless would be a million times simpler, i personally would go for wireless as u save more money buying a router and adapators than miles of cables

he didnt want wireless becuase it is a big house in a rural part of france, and the maximum speed of the internet available is 1.2mb, so we reckon wired would give faster speeds over wireless. or will this not be the case?

nope that isnt, perhaps a wired computer would get faster download speeds over a wireless computer, for example i have a 2mb tiscali connection, my parents pc which is wired gets download speeds of 300kbs per second where as my wireless pc gets about 180kbs,

going wired wouldnt be wise but having a wireless router with one computer wired into that then having your other ocs wireless would be fine,

ok that probarbly dosnt make any sense, in your house have a wireless router with a computer cabled into that then all the rest of ur pcs wireless, the wireless pcs wont get as high download speeds as the wired pc but having all ur pcs wired wint make ur connection speed any faster

Cat 5e will work just fine. Just be sure to keep them away from electrical wires to avoid interference.

hazza said:
he didnt want wireless becuase it is a big house in a rural part of france, and the maximum speed of the internet available is 1.2mb, so we reckon wired would give faster speeds over wireless. or will this not be the case?

Wireless and wired connections will both download at the same speed if it's only a 1.2 meg line.

nope that isnt, perhaps a wired computer would get faster download speeds over a wireless computer, for example i have a 2mb tiscali connection, my parents pc which is wired gets download speeds of 300kbs per second where as my wireless pc gets about 180kbs,

going wired wouldnt be wise but having a wireless router with one computer wired into that then having your other ocs wireless would be fine,

ok that probarbly dosnt make any sense, in your house have a wireless router with a computer cabled into that then all the rest of ur pcs wireless, the wireless pcs wont get as high download speeds as the wired pc but having all ur pcs wired wint make ur connection speed any faster
Wireless connections download just as fast as wired connections. You might see a little less transfer rate, but nothing major. You must be far from your AP if your connection is slowing that much, because there's no reason your wireless connection can't download at 300 KB/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom