cables for my wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

cattlegrid_79

Solid State Member
Hi all

I've got a wireless router that i used to use in my old flat and it had a cable from my telephone point (normal broadband through a phone line) into the back of my router.

However, now I have moved flats and I have broadband provided by cable. Now the connection is a normal ethernet cable out of my cable box, but the plug socket into my router is smaller than this normal ethernet cable.

Is there a lead i can get that will link the two up? If so, where can i get one cheap on the internet?

Thanks

Sam

Right, this is a modem/gateway/router combination. So, the WAN port is a RJ11 port (typical telephone line). Because you are getting your highspeed through cable now, you're going to go RJ45 to RJ45 (from your cable modem to your gateway/router). You will need to purchase another product if you wish to keep the wireless scheme going around your house. This time, just a wireless gateway/router. One without the Modem functionality .

Ah, i see. So i already have the modem bit installed by the cable guys. Any suggestions on what kit to get?

How will I know if it's compatible? Will it show the connections in the details of the product?

Thanks very much for your help.

If you want to future-proof I would definitely recommend getting an 802.11n rather than a g router. Personally I have the Belkin N1 and I find it to be quite amazing, from one end to the other end of a large house I have no speed loss compared to a wired connection. ;)

Any router will work, as long as you make sure it doesn't have an integrated DSL modem in it. If you find one with an integrated cable modem, that will work, but you will have to remove the existing cable modem, and likely have to call the ISP with the MAC address of the new modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom