cable speeds a bit confusing

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
so I'm on a 50mbps plan from Comcast

was having issues with connection and got tech come in and test my connection

it tested at 105mbps with a network cable ... hows that possible on a 50mbps connection?

few days before that I spent about 4 hours cursing out stupid Comcast support because they keep messing up my account and I was getting very slow speeds.
I tested every day and was getting consistently under 20mbps on a 105MBPS plan...
that same day I switched to 50mbps since I did not see any increase in bandwidth

back to present day lol

I'm getting 10ms ping
46mbps on wireless with 2.4ghz wifi
43mbps with 5g wireless

with 50mbps plan.

tech didn't do anything besides plugging in and testing with his laptop
I didn't change anything on my desktop or any settings.

Comcast says there was nothing wrong with their network lol
yet. after I yeled at them suddenly my internet works full speed.

funny thing is its not the first time it happened.

almost every time I get these slow speeds my internet suddenly starts getting full speed on the plan that I'm paying for.

and another funny thing was that I was getting 56mbps with 5g and 23 mbps with 2.4 wifi.
and now that internet seems to be working good I'm getting almost equal speed with 2.4 and 5g.
I don't get this.

Network issue on their end more than likely. About every other month I have to call and complain to our Internet provider at my house b/c I'm not getting the speeds that i'm paying for. It's unfortunate but i really think they do this on purpose in hopes of getting someone that won't notice the reduction in bandwidth.

I pay for a 15mbps connection and every other month it consistently dips below 5mbps for a day or two. I do the normal restart dance with the router and modem - still doesn't fix it so i call. They 'test the lines' and usually within 10 minutes my speeds are back up to what i'm paying for.

Tell them if it goes below what you are paying for again for a prolonged period of time you will switch providers - money talks.

I know for sure if you re late on your bill they drop your bandwidth to like almost nothing so you have to call and they be like. heeeey wheres our money lol

I usually ask them for refund if I don't get anything close to the bandwidth I'm paying for...

I tend to not complain on mine, I pay for 90 BUT consistently get 175 lol one thing though is when I had it installed I had no cable even in the house. Had a new line from the pole so no old cables or bad connections, only thing that will slow Comcast down that they can't control is if a lot of people are online at tv's same time, It's not as bad as it used to be but it still will slow speeds.

only thing that will slow Comcast down that they can't control is if a lot of people are online at tv's same time, It's not as bad as it used to be but it still will slow speeds.
You're wrong there,

Comcast are a Tier 2 ISP, they know how much core capacity they have, they know what capacity their peering have.
and they over sell it.

Comcast is the one who should pay for network connections, Cogent claims | Ars Technica

Imagine I live in a rural area with slow internet, I buy a 1Gb fibre line over to a well connected Colo, and buy transit from an ISP there,

I have a 1GB line, and there are 100 houses in my street, and I want to be their ISP. how many 10Gb lines can I promise to each house? (none right?)

(most people agree it'd be my network capacity (1Gb) divided by the amount of customers, (100), hence 10Mb each, because that's what I can do...

unless you're an someone like Comcast, then you take your 1GB capacity, and tell everyone that they can connect at 1GB, because if only one person is online that's what they could connect at.

it's not just Comcast that does this, it's basically all providers, and I really wish that the courts would step in and clean up the provision of internet... no more of this "up to" rubbish, bandwidth should be sold as a guaranteed minimum, not a theoretical maximum in perfect conditions.

yea well people need internet.
just like toilet paper. lol
except toilet paper is easier to create competition if one brand sucks *** lol

The biggest issue with coax is the simple fact that your speeds will never stay solid due to bandwidth sharing with others on your block. That is why I made it a point to get a house where I live now to have fiber. I speed test over what I pay for every single time, no matter the time of day.

Comcast is in the business of ****ing people over which is why you'll have so many issues with them. Not much can be done about it as people have tried to take them on and lost.

Back
Top Bottom