Cable network....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobswire

Beta member
I'm wanting to downsize since I am semi retired (maybe work one week a month)
and don't need or want all these things I 'm using now such as, satellite service, DSL internet , landline phone (needed for DSL) and cell phone.
So here are my thoughts and wondering if it is feasible?

First off cancel all the services.

Next have Internet cable installed.
Hook up commercial grade cable splitter to receive basic tv servce.

Use an internet sykpes or voip type service for telephone. Skype offers
$2.95/month Unlimited calls to landlines and cell phones in the US and Canada.

Next purchase a wireless enabled phone to use on skype to receive and make calls where ever wireless is available.

In theory I would have high speed broadband service. basic cable tv, phone service and a basic wireless phone service for a total of $62.95 a month after initial lay out of approx. $200 for wireless enabled phone.

Thoughts, reliabliity?
Thanks,
Bob

Using a splitter wont work to get basic cable anymore. Not with the switch to all digital service coming soon. They have filters in place to prevent that now.

You can use Skype and that it is a good alternative. But you have to remember, if you have a emergency and the power is out, no phone.

While i think you have a great idea and it isnt hard to implement, there are some things that i would consider as well.

Find a Pre-Paid Cell Phone, one that doesnt require monthly charges or use. That way if the power does go out and you have a emergency you still have a way to make a emergency call if needed.

TV is going to be tough cause the filters in place prevent the splitting method to continue to work once they go all digital.

But all in all great thoughts.

I forgot about "Digital". I considered having a prepaid cell also. I'm just in the planning stages trying to decide how practical it fits with my life style. If a can save a buck or two so much the better
Appreciate your wise input.

-Bob

Yeah not to mention if you dont have the Digital Converter box using a splitter wont net you anything unless your TV has the Digital Tuner already in it. Which is always fun.

Overall this is something that can be done. Even if you decide to get the basic TV package with your internet it shouldnt be much more than $10 a month for the TV stuff. At least here with Time Warner that is about what it is. Not sure of your location or provider. But you can also do somethin like Time Waner has offered in the past with the Price Lock. Where you get the same price for the package with TV/Internet for 2 years. It will never go up or down for that time. Which is what i have done.

Yeah it costs me $100 a month but that is still cheaper than what it would cost me if i didnt have price lock.

The digital switch over has nothing to do with cable .. its only OTA antenna ...

You can still get basic cable without a cable box .. they may install a filter on the amps outside your house (green boxes) to block TV though (but still permit internet).

Yeah not to mention if you dont have the Digital Converter box using a splitter wont net you anything unless your TV has the Digital Tuner already in it.
That's not accurate. The TV does not need to have a digital tuner if it's connected to cable.

The $2.95 per month Skype plan is not truly unlimited. A Fair Usage Policy applies which limits service to 10,000 minutes a month. That may be enough for you, but it's something to be aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom