Cable Modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
Reason i say cable modems is that, with my upcoming computer build, i want to know the flexibility of my cable internet. I have a coxial line in my room, right now my dad is using a device that splits the regular cable line and t.v line.

in the room that the current there is one splitter device that takes the signal from the wall into the t.v in here and to the current modem.

the modem in here, is hooked up to vonage & a wireless router. I want to take the existing modem and use it in my room. I have one coxial line in my room, and there is one more splitter in use i can use there. I can either solve the problem one of two ways. All the equipment comes with me, including the vonage, but i don't want to clutter my desk with the box. Or, i can take the cable modem itself, give my parents another and use that in my room, another in the study with the main modem.

keep in mind, i would use a wired router and run a line into my room, but the cord itself would be unsightly to my mother, and she would complain. and i'm the one on the internet 24/7 and i pay for the services in the house, so i'd like to take full advantage.

if there is something that will affect cable internet performance, i want to know, and if the modem is possible i'd also like to know.

The set up you described is very similar to the one I have in my room. Basically, the coaxial cable coming out of my wall goes into a splitter, and one end goes to my Roadrunner modem, and the other goes to my TV. I have wireless set up in my house, so the router is in my room along with the Roadrunner modem. My Dads computer is a couple of rooms away, and he recieves the full 100mbps connection ALWAYS. You will notice no decrease in performance what so ever using a splitter and wireless router.

I don't think you can use two modem, if you could then it would probably cost more. If you have two coaxial cable coming into your house, you can have 1 dedicated for the modem and the other for the TV and if you have more than 1 TV you can split that line.

Splitting the line too many time where the cable modem reside is a bad idea, normally you should only split it once, or not at all.

Use the wireless connection, if you don't want to run Ethernet cables around the house, the alternatives is wireless connection or Ethernet over Power.

Law said:
It basically use your powerline to create a LAN.

You'll have something like this setup for example:

http://www.conversantcommunications.co.uk/conv/images/services/PlugLink Network Solution.jpg

Doesn't require you to wire the entire house, just simply plug the EoP device into a power outlet, connect the computer to it and you have a connection.

This is a great idea! i see and understand, so i'd basically take the device and plug my router into it, then take another and plug it into my wall or power source and plug it into another wall. but, where can i find anymore info on this? does newegg carry these devices?

Howstuffworks! LOL, great site for learning.

EoP or Powerline Networking, you can read about it at this link http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm

Yes, I think newegg do carry it, so does many other online stores like tigerdirect or buy.com, ebay, amazon, etc.

Here's some examples http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/S...0130294&SubCategory=294&Description=powerline

Don't get it mix up with PoE, Power over Ethernet is used to carry electricity over Ethernet, the product you are looking for is Powerline Networking or Ethernet Bridge using your home power to create a LAN.

You usually need to buy a pair, one for the home router, and the 2nd one for a computer, than you can buy more with every computer you want to use to connect to the power outlet, sometime they only come with 1 and would cost like $50, that's the disadvantage. Cost and the speed aren't as close as normal wiring are.

This one is the cheapest pair I found on newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833139119

You'll be better off if you go with an Ethernet version than a USB version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom