Cable Modem

PP Mguire

Build Guru
So anybody on here with Time Warner? I'm wondering if buying my own modem will make my connection better, or maybe even increase my speed. They gave me this crappy wireless router combo thing when I asked specifically for a standalone modem.

I have Charter, but it should be the same situation. I replaced my leased modem with a new Motorola Surfboard (leased modem was an older model of the same) and got better speeds. I also set it up to use OpenDNS's DNS servers and REALLY opened up my speeds.

I have Charter, but it should be the same situation. I replaced my leased modem with a new Motorola Surfboard (leased modem was an older model of the same) and got better speeds. I also set it up to use OpenDNS's DNS servers and REALLY opened up my speeds.

Mguire, if you can find out if time warner will let use a RCA cable modem I'll send mines to you, only thing I ask, you pay for the shipping.
Dead broke right now. :\
http://images1.americanlisted.com/n...d_voip_w_battery_backup_20_denver_9238026.jpg

@Trotter, becarefull with surfboard modems, I kid you not but in the past 4 years I have had 4 of them crap out on me.
One even burned up the coxial cable one summer and knocked out my mothers ethernet port on her mobo.
Finally told comcast in hot dispute inside their office not to give me motorola anymore.
Past 2 years rca has never given me much hassle at all.

My thoughts on this are that it is best to use a standalone modem, and your owner router. My reasoning was formed when I was moving around a few years back to various apartments before I bought my house. Sold the house, back renting again for a little while, looking for a better place. With this, the router is ALWAYS ready to go for your network, if you have any special configs on there, such as non-default IP scheme, the wireless config, port forwarding, etc. etc. If you need to change services, router is yours, and still good to go, just get the new modem.

You might also save a couple bucks a month. From what I remember in the past, when they give you equipment like that, they typically charge you a few bucks a month to 'rent' it, since it is theirs, and you need to return it if you cancel your account.

Well I don't have a problem with my speeds. 20 down always and 2-3 up. My problem is with the junk "router" they gave me. It works, but under any kind of pressure it chokes like any hunk of junk would. Torrenting, DC++, heavy multi-console gaming, whatever. If upgrading my router would actually increase my plan speed (like my friends did, he got 30) then I will probably jump on this.

Mguire, if you can find out if time warner will let use a RCA cable modem I'll send mines to you, only thing I ask, you pay for the shipping.
Dead broke right now. :\
http://images1.americanlisted.com/n...d_voip_w_battery_backup_20_denver_9238026.jpg

@Trotter, becarefull with surfboard modems, I kid you not but in the past 4 years I have had 4 of them crap out on me.
One even burned up the coxial cable one summer and knocked out my mothers ethernet port on her mobo.
Finally told comcast in hot dispute inside their office not to give me motorola anymore.
Past 2 years rca has never given me much hassle at all.
Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. I was looking at this Cisco standalone. It has a gigabit port that can go right in to the gigabit WAN on my router.

My thoughts on this are that it is best to use a standalone modem, and your owner router. My reasoning was formed when I was moving around a few years back to various apartments before I bought my house. Sold the house, back renting again for a little while, looking for a better place. With this, the router is ALWAYS ready to go for your network, if you have any special configs on there, such as non-default IP scheme, the wireless config, port forwarding, etc. etc. If you need to change services, router is yours, and still good to go, just get the new modem.

You might also save a couple bucks a month. From what I remember in the past, when they give you equipment like that, they typically charge you a few bucks a month to 'rent' it, since it is theirs, and you need to return it if you cancel your account.
I'm technically using my own router, I just have their port 1 going into my WAN which is set to bridge mode to get IPs and such from their router. So all my settings and everything are retained with the wifi, and the firewall is disabled on my router to use the one on their router so I'm not dealing with a subnet. One of the reasons I want a standalone is for what you were talking about except I just don't trust their junk as it isn't fast enough to keep up with my networking demand.
I also don't think I get charged monthly as I'm not on one of their lower plans. On anything less than 20Mb they charge an equipment fee and I don't get charged that.

Guess that settles, I'll probably wind up buying a standalone with a gigabit output so I don't get bogged down at the modem.

Anybody hear about getting free internet with your own modem?

Back
Top Bottom