cable modem, 1 pc connects to internet, 1 pc doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
Doh!!!!!!!!!!!

This is driving me crazy....
I go to relatives house... which as cable modem connected to laptop. that pc is fine... connects to web no problem.... plain and simple obtain IP auto.... all default settings, etc. etc.
this is windows 2000 machine.

I get my laptop, unplug cat 5 from working pc into my laptops built in nic card. Not working!
I reboot, not working.
I confirm same, exact settings as the working pc... not working...
I try different things. reboot, disable, enable... etc.etc. 40 minutes... of trying all i can thing of... NOT WORKING...

I plug the cat 5 back to working pc... Works like a champ!

Has this happened to you?
What is wrong?... crap...I have all default settings.... its just a plain and simple cable modem to laptop for internet....

THANKS for any pointers and things I'm missing

NOTE: (( I doubt this anything to do with the connection problem... but) my laptop works with my home network just fine, wireless that is.... I assign IP address on my network. One thing that seems funny, I can't seem to uninstall or reconfigur the nic card?? I can't remember using the built NIC card before.... but it says its working fine.

i had this problem before..i made sure all setting on both pc's are excactly the same and everything worked

Couple things to check out, first, what OS is your laptop running? Also since you said that you manualy assign IP's check and make sure its set to auto for the wired LAN. Also the problem might be with the ISP, they might only accept the MAC address of the usual computer.

the one thing I didn't do... reboot the modem

nothing like technology!!!!
:)

thanks gusy for you help...

you need to reboot the cable modem each type you plug in a different PC... leave the modem off for at least 1 minute.

it recycles, resets something??

thanks

Change the MAC address (phisical address) of your laptop to the identical one the working PC has. (Use "ipconfig /all" to get MAC address).
btw: check if your DNS sets to . . .(empty) or the same with the PC while it's online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom