Cable internet speed issue

Kokosz32

Beta member
Hello

Recently I have been seeing issues with my internet speed on my laptop
I have 3 computers all connected to the same modem. First computer is directly connected to the modem and the other two are Wifi laptops. I have been seeing issues with the newest laptop ( 1 year old). My internet speed on the newest laptop which is usually 30 mb, at times goes down to 4-8 mb. The upload speed however, are abnormally fast (20MB +) When it its at that low speed, my other WIFI laptop ( 5 years old) has speeds at 30 mb, therefore Im guessing its not an issue with my network. When I connected the new laptop directly to the modem, I am getting speeds 90MB +. I have scanned the laptop for different malaware and viruses with negative results. I have also closed as many unnecessary programs running in the background and still nothing. Weird thing is I could be getting my average speed of 30 mb at 2 pm and then at 230 pm I will be hardly getting 5 MB, and then 30 min later it goes back to normal . Please help. Thank you. Karl

How do you know you are getting 90MB?
how much of your online time is spent streaming music or video? Do you spend the rest of your time downloading large files?
Is it always just at 2:30? or does it happen other times of the day?

--edit
how far are you from the modem and how many microwaves are between here and there?

I am just saying 90 MB according to speedtest.net. But again, I only get those speeds when I connected that laptop directly to the modem.

When It comes to times, I was just giving an example. It could go 5-10 MB one hour and then 30-35 MB next hour, while my desktop and my other (older laptop) speeds are for most of the times very consistent.

Find the model of the wireless card for the laptop that's having issues through Device Manager. Then go to the wireless card manufacturer's website (i.e. Intel, Atheros, etc.) and find the newest driver for your model of wifi card.

Back
Top Bottom