Bypassing My Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpecial

Baseband Member
Hello, for quite a few months, I have been having problems with some of my online games. I called my ISP, Comcast, and the games' company, and neither of them have any idea what I need to do to fix this problem. I am using a Belkin F5D7230-4 router, and so far, I have tried every idea except for one..

Comcast told me that I should try to bypass my router and see if this fixes the problem. This is where the problem comes in. I really have no idea how to bypass my router. I have tried putting my PC in the DMZ of my router, which didn't work. Is this what was meant by bypassing it? I have googled this and searched the forums for something like it, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

What I'm asking is, how exactly would I bypass my Belkin router? Am I supposed to connect my computer to the phone line or modem itself? Or what?

bypass :

Unplug the ethernet/USB cable from your router LAN/WAN port, then plug the ethernet/USB cable directly from the Modem into your machine.

This will test if the issue is truly your router's fault.

Thank you, I shall try to this tonight.

As for my games not working, it is mainly my Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Vietnam. Whenever I try to play online, every server has an extremely high ping, being over 500. Recently, I have been having problems with the game Diablo II(and its expansion) giving me a lot of lag. As for Steam, every time I play Day Of Defeat Source, after an hour or so, my Internet connection ceases, and I find that all my IP settings are deleted. Meaning I no longer have an IP address. Even after telling Windows to use a certain IP, it still gets deleted. To fix the DoD problem, all I need to do is restart my computer(but it still gets annoying).

I have checked my ports, and the right ones are indeed open. My Battlefield 1942 works fine. This problem didn't always happen, it just started a few months ago for no apparent reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom