Buying a new Router..with print server

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertogo

Baseband Member
Hello, the router that I got from at&t (2wire) when I started my plan is malfunction it so I am thinking about replacing it. I want to replace it with a router that has an included print server so I can print from anywhere in the house without needing a host computer.
I bought a motorola modem ($69) which I plugged into a new Netgear router ($109). I bought that router becasue I had a USB port and the people at BEst Buy told me that It might work with a printer. I just checked and that is not the case, the USB on the router is designed for storage devices (hardrives, flashdrives)(which I have no need for) . Should I return the Netgear router or should I just but a separate print server?
Which router would you reccoment I get (would be better if It has a build in print server to save space) or which print sever would you reccoment ?
Thanks in advance
~Fertogo

I recommend you keep the Netgear router and connect your printer by Ethernet if you can, or maybe get a printer that has an Ethernet port. Connect your printer directly to the router set it to be shared and you will be able to print to it from anywhere in the house, from any computer. You don't need a print server.

I recommend you keep the Netgear router and connect your printer by Ethernet if you can, or maybe get a printer that has an Ethernet port. Connect your printer directly to the router set it to be shared and you will be able to print to it from anywhere in the house, from any computer. You don't need a print server.
Wow I did not think that my printer had a Ethernet port but I just checked and it does!!! Can you explain to me how to get it to work like that?
Hi,

Specifically, what is the model number of your Netgear router?
rangemax wireless n gigabit router with USB
WNR3500L

Wow I did not think that my printer had a Ethernet port but I just checked and it does!!! Can you explain to me how to get it to work like that?

rangemax wireless n gigabit router with USB
WNR3500L

Should just be able to plug an ethernet cable into it. Then, on the computer, add a new printer from the network as opposed to locally attached.

Should just be able to plug an ethernet cable into it. Then, on the computer, add a new printer from the network as opposed to locally attached.

THanks i will try that as soon as I get home
I have another question regarding the router...the model I got has an option to wirelessly connect by pressing a button on the router (WPS). On my windows 7 computer when trying to connect it told me to press the button and I did. Windows 7 succesfly connected in about 30secs. On my xp laptop however when trying to connect it did not
ask for a key or anything it has just been stuck on "vallidating identity"
how can I fix this ?

Hello, I directly connected the printer to the router with an Ethernet Cable, however the green light next to my printer's ethernet port (Dell laser 1600n) just blinks. Also the router does not show that anythining is connected there... Is there anything I need to change on the printer to get it to work?>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom