buying a modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bytes777

Solid State Member
i want to buy a good high speed 56k modem. does it have to compatible with the model that i'm using? can you recommend some good-priced brands out there and where i can get them. thanks! installation instructions should come with it, rite?

I personally wouldn't spend the money on a modem unless all other forms of Internet are unavailable in your area... $5-10 would be a good price on a modem.

As far as compatibility, all you have to do is make sure the hardware is compatible... do you have an open PCI slot? if so, get a PCI modem, if your PC is old, perhaps you will need an ISA modem (good luck finding one though... try ebay).

As far as far as good-price brands... I would just get the dirt cheapest one you can find...

what are you paying for dial up. Where i live you can get DSL for $14.95

may i ask why you think you need a new modem ?

OK a modem, what is your OS ? I have started to see modems with out drivers for win 98. We use a modem at work called "NETO DRAGON" for our customers.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825180003

I would uninstall then remove the old modem as opposed to just removing the modem. Depending on your isp, like aol you may have to search for a connection device the first time you run your isp logon after install of new modem

is the old modem inbedded ( part of your mainboard ? if so you will have to go to system / hardware / device manager , and turn off the modem in the modem properties,, DO NOT UNINSTALL.

I would agree that broadband is the way to go but if you live in the boonies then dialup may be his only option.

if you live in the boonies then dialup may be his only option.
it is not so much like it use to be, it all depends really really far out , yup. I have customers that are farther out then they use to be getting dsl. Verizon has switched some to a DHCP type authentication like cable uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom