Business Wireless, some devices can access some cant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goofy

Beta member
Sorry Im not sure which forum I should of posted this in... so Im sorry if its incorrectly placed.

Ok so I work at a small privately run hotel and because Im fairly computer savvy I defaulted into an IT type role. We provide free wifi/internet to the guests through a super ghetto system (to keep costs as low as possible). I bought 30 odd wireless routers, assigned them all a seperate IP address, and placed them strategically around the building. They are all Linksys WAP54G ver 3.1 access points. No security whatsoever (more headaches than its worth) and so far (1 year) its worked really well. Only the occasional router needing a reprogramming or something.

Heres the problem:
Today I recieved multiple reports that computers werent able to access the internet. I would go investigate and find that 2 of 3 computers could connect and the third couldnt. Also, all mobile devices cant connect. They can find the unsecured networks, they can connect to them, they all get stuck with identifying the network. This goes across the hotel at a 50/50 ratio. PC, Mac makes no difference, plugged into the wall or accessing wifi no difference... I talked to our service provider but they really just provide our signal and not any tech support with it. He suggested bandwidth issues but that would mean they would work off and on sporadically wouldnt it? Ive already reset all of our switches in the building for no effect.

This is a general plea in hopes that someone has seen something like this before and may know whats causing it. I thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom