Built In WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo808

In Runtime
I just bought a laptop today and there seems to be no internet connection. I checked out my controle panel and Internet connections but no luck. I reformatted my computer into winxp pro because i hate vista. Can anyone tell me how to set up my internet connection? I tried gateway's website and there drivers were [SNIPPED] and nothing to deal with wifi or even mobo. Any help would be nice.

thanks
Stevo808

Is there a wireless toggle button on the actual laptop somewhere for on/off? Nowadays there usually is on most models. See if that's the problem.

I just bought a laptop today and there seems to be no internet connection. I checked out my controle panel and Internet connections but no luck. I reformatted my computer into winxp pro because i hate vista. Can anyone tell me how to set up my internet connection? I tried gateway's website and there drivers were [SNIPPED] and nothing to deal with wifi or even mobo. Any help would be nice.

thanks
Stevo808

First, you most likely have to install the driver. So check device manager to see if your network hardware is there. Your network hardware are probably new and XP doesn't have the supported driver. And if Gateway's website doesn't have an XP driver for your particular model, your only option right now is probably going back to Vista or contact Gateway about your issue and surely they will help locate the driver for you.

What is the model of your router if you have one? And your Internet connection type?

Device manager doesn't have any wireless hardware that i can see so i don't know what kind of wireless hardware i have and there is no button for my wifi.
But i can see the light for it on though, i might just by me a usb wireless adapter if anything because i would really hate to go back to vista, another option i had was just to dual boot.

Have you tried the add hardware wizard? Maybe it just hasn't been picked up by windows for some reason. Since you have access to another PC and internet, download Aida32 and run it on your laptop. It will tell you all your hardware so then you can hunt down drivers.

No No, no laptop should need a USB/card anymore, wifi is almost always built-in nowadays.

Did your laptop come with a systems CD for drivers/software/OS I would hope?

If there's nothing listed, there's no driver more than likely. Go to manufacturer website and go by laptop model/etc. and find what you need for XP.

Why did you reload XP from Vista btw if it was working okay before? XP syndrome? (I'm staying xp pro too, I love it to death)

Most likely the wifi card is built-in on labtop, check the labtop manual on any button you can turn on the wireless feature.. Should have! You should be able to find this info from the labtop manual or vendor website. If no built-in wireless support, then you might need wireless pcmcia card to make it work.

If your labtop processor is Intel Centrino, for sure there is built-in wireless support.

Make sure also you have correct driver installed.

How to Check Network Card Driver Status in Windows XP

Hope helps..

Thanks guys for all the replies i really appreciate it, but i solved the problem well kinda :freak:

I knew from the start that XP pro will not recognize anything from my laptop and i checked out the GateWay site but they suck because they don't sapourt the correct drivers and not much options to choose from anyway. So just made my laptop to dual boot, Vista for games and internet and XP Pro will be for working/college work, plus xp pro runs 50 times faster since theres not much processes running anyway, the only junk thing is that the graphics is kinda laggy when i move a window around :snob:

But ill just stick what i have right now, its running pritty good :D

Thanks again everyone!

Stevo88

I was assuming it was designed for Vista internet drivers primarily, so they probably saw no need to support an XP driver version. Vista is here...whether we like it or not lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom