Building Office: Wiring a Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
We are expanding our house in the basement and I've been asked to make the office "good". My family will probably have 3-4 computers on a network in that room and I want to organise things better than having cords just laying around going in every direction.

For Wiring what could be used behind the walls Ethernet or USB. I've never done any homebuilding so what do you normally make sure you have for a room that is networked. Do they have wall plats for Ethernet and USB?

Nope though that probably would be the easiest.

I thought about it but it would not fit our needs or would it help please help me figure this out.

The cable modem would be connected to a Cisco wireless router all is good there.

The router has 2 wireless connections, 3 wired connections, and a port where the modem gets plugged into it. That would fit all the comptuers but if I choose wireless I'd rather have every computer hooked up wireless.

Is there a router out there that has 4 or 5 wireless connections for PCs that I am unaware of.

Lastly I know little of wireless networking as well can I just use one wireless port on the PC and have 5 recievers for the PCs?
hwpoint2.gif

They make ethernet connectior wall plates, just like power and phone. YOu can get it at any homedepot or something like that. And they have boxs of like 500ft of more of cat5 and cat6 cabling. I would use the cat6 for gigabit ethernet

You need plenium grade if your gonna be running through walls.That is if you wanna be up to fire codes. :)

quick question, how would wireless not fit your needs?

same building, you can have like 2 computers wired to the router
the rest wireless, no need to put wires behind the wall(thats even more trouble)
ARE ALL THE COMPUTERS IN THE SAME ROOM?
if it is, i don't see how wireless is not good for ya

if not, then go with what locki433 sed
well you can use cat5 or cat5e, i think cat6 is just overboard lol
go with cat5e

You can most likely put 253 clients on that one cisco wireless access point.

However for ethernet you need Cat5E cable (No usb, what are you thinking?)

I would say its in your best interest to get an ethernet cable connector crimper. THe crimper itself is a little pricey, but it turns out to be much cheaper in the long run when you dont have to buy overpriced premade ethernet cables from the store. Plus, this way you can get you cables to be exactly how long you need them to be.

I have done ethernet wiring before with wallplates, etc and its not too hard. Just look up a guide via Google and make sure you punch down the cable onto the wallplate properly.

Dont use USB for wallplates, as ethernet is gonna be a lot easier to use. Come to think of it, I dont recall ever seeing USB wallplates :confused:

This is why Wireless is not for me. From another thread I posted.

I'm having a bloody hard time finding a network card that has 64 bit drivers could anyone give me some assistance.

I say go for wired. Wired networks are much easier to troubleshoot. Although you have to run cables for a wired network, it really isnt that hard!

Not to mention, wired networks are 100x more secure than wireless and will usually give you better transfer rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom