Build a network??? help :x

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoobieCake

Beta member
Well I'm currently studying basic networking in school and the teacher gave us a question like this I'm a bit confused on how to do this can someone give me adivce or clue or an example on how this should be set out? I kinda have no where else to turn too since most of my friends are not taking this class yet I'm ahead of them well... anyway here is what it says.

You are to build a company network from the following specifications and rules.
Company size: 50,000

Number of Sites: 10

Sites are comprised of: 3 large buildings, 5 medium buildings, and 2 small buildings.
You have a single corporate domain, use any name you prefer. Since you have a single domain computers at alternate sites can support most all server failures.
At each site Domain Controllers, WINS Servers, DNS Servers, DHCP Servers and File and Print Servers are maintained. All of these servers must be present at every site regardless of size. At the largest sites only, additional servers are also present. These servers are Media, Web, and Remote Access.
The cost for each server is $5000.

Your server rules are:
Domain controllers can only support 4000 users and must always have a backup at the site they are supporting. The all follow the N+1 Microsoft rule. N+1 means that whatever the number of Domain Controllers required plus one additional.
WINS Servers support 5000 users per computer.
DNS Servers support 4000 users per computer.
DHCP Servers support 6000 users per computer.
Domain Controllers support 4000 users per computer.
Media Servers 8000 people as a whole must support all corporate users in total.
Web Servers must support both corporate user and Internet users totaling 100,000. Individually they support 10000 users.
Files and Print Server support 2000 users per computer.
Remote Access Server supports 250 per computer and there are only 800 remote users.
The company has a desire to reduce the total number of servers by combing some server services on their servers.
Rules for combining services:
DNS, DHCP, WINS, and File and Print Services can be combined in any combination.
Domain Controllers can combine DNS and WINS only.
Remote Access Servers can have WINS and DHCP only.
Web Servers can have WINS or DHCP BUT NOT BOTH.
Media Servers cannot have any other services.
Special RULE when you combine a service the number of users supported is reduced by 25%.
Example DNS and WINS Servers would be 4000 and 5000 respectively. The new combined server would support 3000 DNS and 3750 WINS Clients.
What you must deliver to me on paper is:
A list of each site with the number of people you have chosen.
List each of the servers and the services running. Also list the number of users that individually is supporting for each service.
The cost savings obtained by combining servers versus the cost to provide each server service independently.

First clarify what he means by "at the largest sites only" for the additional servers.
Top two largest sites? Top three?

After that work out the best combination of servers for those sites. Start with the largest site you want. Find the best combination of services to minimise the amount of servers you'll need to install (I'd suggest 10,000 users for the first site). Remember to take into account the 25% user reduction rule when planning server configurations.

Then work out a plan for most of the other sites (e.g. a modular plan, same amount of users for 8 of the other sites, same servers, etc.)
With the last site just use up the surplus users.

Oh thank you, I looked into it more now and so far this is what I got planned out. =D

Company size: 50,000
Number of sites: 10

3 large buildings
5 medium buildings
2 small buildings

1 single corporate domain

Cost per server: $5,000.00

Servers Amount of Users It Supports

10 Domain Controllers 1 for each site 2,500 per computer $ 50,000.00
10 WINS Servers 1 for each site 5,000 per computer $ 50,000.00
10 DNS Servers 1 for each site 4,000 per computer $ 50,000.00
10 DHCP Servers 1 for each site 6,000 per computer $ 50,000.00
10 FILES Servers 1 for each site 2,000 per computer $ 50,000.00
10 PRINT Servers 1 for each site 2,000 per computer $ 50,000.00
$300,000.00

FOR THE 3 LARGEST SITES ONLY:

3 Media Servers 1 for each site 8,000 per computer $15,000.00
3 Web Servers 1 for each site 10,000 per computer $15,000.00
(50,000 additional)
3 Remote Access Servers 1 for each site 250 per computer
(Only 800 remote users) $15,000.00
$45,000.00

7 Additional Web Servers divided by 3 buildings $35,000.00

1 Additional Remote Access Server $5,000.00

Do they want an IP scheme with subnets and everything?

Or they just want you to build how much it would cost

well, not tring to be ciynical or anything, but i am guessing they dont want to to think about licensing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom