BT Voyager and D-Link Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

micc

Beta member
I have a Dell 6000 laptop (which has built-in Wireless capability).

I have been using a BT Voyager 205 Wired ADSL Router to connect to the internet, and it works fine.

I now want use the wireless capability, so I was advised by my IT manager at work to buy a D-Link DWL-922 Wireless Broadband kit.

I am having problems connecting up the Voyager and the D-Link.

Is it possible to get it to work in this particular configuration?

I have got it to work in wireless mode several times, and when it connects to the internet it works fine. However, at other times, it fails to connect at all (despite the Wireless connection being signalled as "Excellent").

I suspect I have been poorly advised, and I should have just repaced the Voyager router with a Wireless one (and I might still have to do that). But before I give up on the D-Link, I thought I'd try to find out if there is a solution to my problem (which will save me spending more hard-earned dosh on new kit).

Here is a quick rambling history of what I've tried so far...

(1) Seems to work after connecting the Voyager ADSL Router first
- If I am connected in the original set-up, i.e. the Voyager router connected via the ethernet cable, then take the cable out of the PC and plug it into the D-Link Wireless box, it usually works, i.e. I can connect to the internet anywhere in the house wirelessly.

(2) Having successfully connected, if I power everything down (i.e. the Voyager ADSL router and the D-Link Wireless box) then power it back up again, the wireless connection no longer works. I was advised that the sequence of powering back up might be significant, but I tried all different sequences and none of them worked.

(3) I thought I'd try just leaving the 2 routers permanently on, but I've just received a call from my girlfriend saying the connection has failed again even though she didn't power-down the 2 routers. (OK that's second-hand, and there might be some chinese whispers here, but I thought I'd mention it.)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I have been a Software Engineer for years, so I kind-of should know a lot more about this stuff than I do. However, my work colleagues have tried passing on some advice about setting up different IP addresses, and switching on or off WAP, so I've tried to do as they said but the problem remains.

The latest advice has been to switch off DHCP in the router, but I haven't tried that yet.

As you might gather, I'm fairly clueless about the intricacies of networking, so if anyone can help please try to make it a simple as possible.

I had a search through the archives, and whilst I can see that some people have had similar problems, none really helped all that much (unless I missed one, in which case please point me to the entry and accept my apoligies).

Just to let you know that I found the solution (see http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?t=6393)

Here is what I dod (thanks to Greenstead) :-

The BT and D-Link routers should be connected by ethernet between their LAN ports (do not use the WAN port). The DHCP server in the D-Link must be disabled. In addition the D-Link default LAN address should be manually set to anything free in the BT LAN subnet (which from then on you use to access the D-Link and configure the wireless settings).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom