broken ethernet cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerbalooza

Beta member
So yeah here's the scoop. I had my house networked and my computer is across the house from where the router is located. So all the cables are ran through the walls and the side of the house. Lukyily my dog chewed off the end of my cable tha was in my room so all i have isthe cable with loose wires. I can't re run a new wire without hiring a networker but i don't wanna waste time and money on that. So i waht i was thinking was to buy another ethernet cable cut it in half so that i have the plug on one side and loose wires on the other and strip the wires from the chewed ethernet cable and the new one and tie them together and secure it with electrical tape. I'm thinking this wil work but are there any other options i have that i'll be better off with?

thanks,
nick

There are a couple of good, simple solutions to this common occurance.

You don't even need to have any networking experience. You will, however, have to purchase (borrow) a tool or part.

You could get a female RJ-45 connector and then punch the wire down to it. It's very simple....just a matter of placing the correct wire color to the same color on the connector. You would also need a Punch Tool to do this.
Then you would have to connect a straight-through patch cable from the female end to your computer.

Or, you could simply crimp a male rj-45 to the end of the remaining wire and then use a rj-45 coupler with a new straight-through patch cable on the other end of the coupler to your computer.

Amd2800 said:
Buy a Wireless Card for the pc

I've seen more logical one line responses from fortune cookies

And the wireless card would connect to???.........a wireless AP or gateway that you assume the person has?

Actually you can get little plastic things made for splicing the wires together. They are probably more commonly use for splicing telephone wires together. You will need nothing more than your fingers or pliers to pinch them together. Obviously this isn't the best solution, but it will work if you cannot find an RJ-45 crimper and dont want to buy one. :)

do what mikesgroovin sugested. on a side note get some bitter apple. You can pick it up at any pet store. spray it on all of your wires. Your dog will never chew through one again. did it with my dog and he will not get close to any wire now. Just need to do it for a while and he will learn to stay away from them.

its not as hard as you may think to re run the wire. Just get a new ethernet cable. Take the cable your dog chewed up, and tape one end from each of them together. Make sure it is taped very well and will not come apart from each other. More tape is better than not enough. Then just pull the wire through. Another way is to get an electritions fish tape and do the same thing.
http://www.cfsalesinc.com/copper-and-fiber/fish-tape-cable.html
This is how your "networker" would probably do it.

oh and i don not suggest using tape to connect the old wire with a new one. Very very good chance of lost data and a bunch of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom