Broadband Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoney1955

Beta member
Just got cable internet service and bought a wireless router so I could hook up my lap top from where ever in the house. When I tried to connect it ask me for a network key. I am not sure what it is asking for as I don't have a network set up. I only have two computers hooked up and they are independant of each other. The modem that the cable company brought is a motorola surfboard model SB5100 and the Router is 802.11g wireless broadband. I do have my desktop hooked up through the router and it's working fine, but the laptop continues to ask for a network key. I have set up no network and when I called the cable company they said they knew nothing about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is basically asking for a password. I would consult any manuals that came with the router. Also try cancelling or exiting out of the box that asks you for a key. If you don't have the key, how can you enter it in? Consulting the manufacturers manual or website should do the trick.

Like Jonesie said, check your router's manuals. This issue has nothing to do with your ISP or modem or computer. It is the wireless component of your router.

It's a security feature that prevents your neighbor from leeching off your internet connection. With Winows XP you can pick up and tap into any broadcasted wireless signal close with ease! This security feature that prompts you for a key is preventing this from happening.

Appearently your router came with this feature enable, so the basic key should be in your manual somewhere. Also the manual should show you how to change this key, which I would suggest doing since it is using the default key which I'm sure ships with each wireless router made by that manufacturer. Making it easy for someone to guess your key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom