Briding WiFi card with LAN connection

Seems the fan has crapped out on my G7. Have to fix that first. If it ain't one thing it's something else. NUTZ!!!

I'm not sure if you can have your NIC and WiFi both on at the same time

You can. Example: My buddy built a bar in his garage which is about 100 ft from the house. I was watching his dogs while he was out of town and I wanted to game on my desktop in the bar but the wifi signal was poor. So I got my laptop on his WIFI at the closest side of his garage towards his house and used a cable in the laptops LAN port and ran it to my desktop, bridge the LAN and WIFI connections on my laptop and configured the two interfaces and before I knew it - it was 6AM and I was 15 beers down.

attachment.php

I knew I kept all this flipping junk for some reason. Here's how I resolved it.
Factory default router and AP.
I have one of TP-Links AP's that can do AP, repeater, client. After doing the factory reset, I was able to glide in to the programming on both.
In the AP setup I selected client. The AP has a network scanner that shows what wifi is around it and the signal strength. I chose the hotel AP I normally get on. It's let than 25 feet away and has a solid signal on 2.4 and 5 Ghz. The AP is only 2.4 but that's ok for what I'm doing. I then plugged in the AP to the WAN on the router. Fingers crossed.

I then reboot both the router and the AP. I slipped in to the programming on the router and checked the WAN settings. It had picked right up on the IP and all the settings for the hotel AP. So now it has internet access. The nas box didn't show up in the DHCP client list but the IP for it is locked in. So I closed out the router programming and put the nas box IP in the url bar in my browser. Went right to it. It had updated the time and checked for firmware updates. I have access to the app farm at WD now.

So using the AP in client mode I'm able to feed the router an IP and get on line. And the wifi and nic on my desk rig are both on and playing well together. I knew there had to be a way to resolve this.

Back
Top Bottom