Bridging a Modem, connectivity help!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atd332

Baseband Member
Hey guys, recently i have been many problems with holding a fast DSL connection. I randomly have slow slow dsl, and my max speed i pay for is 3mbps from Att yahoo. This has been driving me nuts, so after researching into it, i found out that there appears to be some kind of "issue" with the Speedstream 4100 and linksys wrt56g routers working together. I read somewhere to put the modem into bridge mode. If i put the modem into bridge mode, what should my router be on ? DHCP? I tried the whole bridge mode and i couldnt figure it out, any help? Also, my friends said to set my modem on PPPOE on computer(router) rather than PPPOE on modem. Once i set it to PPPOE on router, it worked, but still i sometimes getting slow like 500kbps speeds, and sometimes its upto like 2.8MB. This unstablility is driving me nuts, and id really like to get this straightened out. Anyone know anything about bridging a modem and if that will work, or if what i did (set it to PPPOE on Router) would fix this problem like briding it would? THanks!!!!

To configure your modem in bridged mode you will need to connect your PC directly to the modem. Next open your internet browser and input the IP address for your modem (this will be your default gateway address). You may need to type in a username and password when logging in to the modem, see your usur manual for this information. Once logged in, there should be an option to turn the modem in to bridged mode or as your friends said, PPPoE on the computer.

After you have done that, you can connect the modem to the router. Next log in to your router similiar to how you logged in to your modem. You will need to setup a PPPoE connection on the WAN interface of your router, the settings for your PPPoE connection can be obtained from your ADSL provider.

That should get your configured properly.

So all i need to do is configure the modem in bridge mode, and set the router to PPPOE? Even though next to where it says bridge modem on the modem interface, it says (NOT USING PPPOE).

what if i can get to the modem without directly plugging it into the pc? I can leave the router and modem attached the go to my modem ,then go to my router and change that too?

When you bridge the modem, you will not be using PPPoE as far as the modem in concerned, hence the text next to it. I don't know how you will access the modem interface without plugging in to it directly unless you have the option to access VIA a serial port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom