Brand new Linksys, instant packetloss and hiccups in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgenstern

Beta member
my family has just invested in some rather expensinve linksys products, specifically these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124178
(for myself)

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124050
this connected directly to our DSL router

Before installation of this system from our very similar but much older 802.11b system, i had no trouble playing games which is what i spend a whole lot of time doing.

Upon installation of the new products, i instantly found that whenever i would connect to any game online, i would have a packetloss level constantly ranging between 30 and 120 while no one else had even 1. this destroyed my ability to to play games online as i would consantly get my ass handed to me.

I did lots of testing to try to narrow down the problem and came up with this:
-changes in the distance between my reciever and the router had no effect on this problem
-nothing outside games ever struggles as far as connection
-my connection is always at or near 100% quality (+/- 1%)
-In any game i get a hiccup EXACTLY once per second (i tested this with a stop watch)
-These hiccups are independant of the amount of action being transfered or anything of the sort
-All attempts to test old hardware with new hardware have been failures for various reasons so i can't isolate the problem between the two pieces of hardware

i am running XP sp2 with Firwall, virus protection and auto update turned ON and AVG Free virus scanner running at all times. the game i used to test this was Unreal Tournament 2004 and other games i tried out were Unreal Tournament and Doom3

My only other experiment is to hardwire my computer directly to the router and directly to the modem but time does not permit me to do so at the moment

ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated

-Morgenstern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom