bootable network cd w/ ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk108

Beta member
Here's my problem: I have a bunch of laptops that do not have a floppy drive. Normally I would just make a ghost network bootable floppy to be used for a ghost multicast, but obviously I can't do that without a floppy drive. I would like to do it with a bootable cd somehow but have not had success. I tried making bootable floppies and then converting them to bootable cd's w/ Nero, but that didn't work (I get a truncating error, probably b/c it is trying to write to the cd).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hawk

Firehawk,

This is what you would have to do,

First, create the ghost boot diskette by using the ghost boot disk wizard.

Second, create a bootable CD using Nero or Roxio (Almost any CD burning software will do this)

When asked to insert the bootable floppy, pop in the one ghost created for you. Also make sure you have all of the files you will need in the CD session before burning (Ghost.exe, etc.)

This is the basic way you can create a bootable ghost multicast disk.

If you are getting errors when trying to do this try the following:

In nero, run all of the software tests to define the safe settings your burner and PC can handle.

Use a good quality CD-R, the ones with the shinny top aren't too reliable, they tend to get too many buffer underun errors.

Once you finish running the tests on your CD-Burner and everything passes, try creating the ghost bootable CD.

If you post what version of Nero and Ghost you are using, that might help more detailed answers.

Did Anyone Ever Figure this out?

I have tried using the "Create Boot Cd Method" in Nero and get a "Error Truncating Files" as soon as it tries to load the NIC?

Did anyone ever figure out this problem?

K.J.B.

The above is dead on. Unless you have missconfigured your network setup in the ghost boot disk, then that would be the problem. It's not the boot disk so much as it's the config that causing trouble. Post your autoexec.bat, config.sys and the protman.cfg or ini (been a while so I can't recall exactly)

Also, what is the network card that you are using, as well as which driver are you using.

Same Problem Bootable Network CD w/ghost

I'm trying the same thing, I can get a ghost boot CD to work when I'm only using 1 driver. Once I create a BootCD that uses more than 1 network driver, I get "Error truncating file" and the process stops. If I use the boot Diskette that I'm creating the bootCD from, it works fine with all of my different network cards. So I know it's not the drivers, it just somehow the ghost disk changes when it goes from a Single Driver, to a multi-driver that messes up the CD.

Anyone have ideas?

I had the self-same problem and here's what solved it:

The "error truncating file" msg upon booting into ghost resulted from my machines using DR-DOS instead of MS-DOS.

So..., make your two boot floppies with Ghost. Use WinImage to read the first floppy and then, still using WinImage, inject the Ghost.exe contents (not the whole folder) of the 2nd floppy into the Ghost folder (in the WinImage image) of the first floppy that you've already read in. Format the resulting WinImage image to 2.88Mb and save it to your desktop in .IMA format -- Note that .IMA is not the default extension.

Now, use Nero Express with the boot CD option selected, wait a bit for it to update what it's doing, select Expert Options and then 2.88Mb floppy emulation. Now be careful -- de-select the option of reading the boot files from the A: drive since your image is already bootable. now click New and drag your image into the second column from the left and burn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom