BlueTooth home network possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
is it possible to setup a bluetooth network at home?

i have my desktop connected to cable modem
i dont have a wireless router

i do have a bluetooth dongle on my desktop
and id like to if possible connect my phones to it and my GF's laptop so she can acess the internet.

what do i need to do?

I have seen references at various other forums indicating that it CAN be done, but that it is very slow. Bluetooth wasn't designed for internet sharing, but the sharing of small files between a small device and an accessory, a peer, or a computer. If you really want to do it, do some Google searches on it.

I would highly recommend getting a wireless router, for ease of setup, and relaibility. I use a D-Link WBR-2310 without issue.

Unless your phone supports 802.11 wifi connections, bluetooth is the only way to get online with it (short of connecting it directly to the computer) but like Ethereal Dragon said, connecting a laptop is going to be slow.

Vista supports automatic configuration for what they call a PAN (Personal Area Network) and while I've never tried setting one up, I can't imagine it working very reliably. I've had BT devices drop connections to my desktop when I got more than 12 feet away, so unless she's in the same room or the master connection is on the other side of the wall, I can't picture it being very fast.

If you've got $15 you can get a wireless DLink router from the TigerDirect website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom