Best router for teh buckz

PopoChubbs

Casually Filthy
Hi guys! I'm moving into a new apartment soon, and just got a Comcast router, which they want to charge me $10/month to rent. I want to go to somewhere like Best Buy and get a permanent one, but don't want to go in blind and with any number of sales people pointing out more of what I don't need than what I do. I know I could go surfing, but I'd like to start here.

What do you guys suggest?

They gave me the Modem/Router combo, they call it a Dori (dunno about the spelling). My plan is just 25Mbps for $40, seemed pretty simple, they didn't bring up anything about fiber or crazy fast speeds or any of that.

Well you can buy a router and tie into the one you have or you'll need a modem and a router separate.

The next thing I need to know is how many wireless devices and wired devices, and which gets the heaviest use.

I'll have my PS4 (likely hard-wired), my Surface Pro 3, my laptop, and my phone. Chances are, the PS4 will be used the most because I won't have cable, so it'll be strictly Netflix, and my phone and Surface will likely be tied, just used more often contextually.

As it stands now, I only have the Comcast provided Dori, but I was under the impression that you could buy a Modem/Router combo commercially.

Well you can buy a router and tie into the one you have or you'll need a modem and a router separate.

The problem if you don't buy a modem AND a router is you'll still get charged by Comcast for the modem (even if you're not using the router part of it). Here's what I would recommend:

ARRIS SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Newegg.com

It comes with a free router right now as well. If the router isn't doing what you need it to, then I would recommend a TP-Link Archer C5 or C7.

I'll have my PS4 (likely hard-wired), my Surface Pro 3, my laptop, and my phone. Chances are, the PS4 will be used the most because I won't have cable, so it'll be strictly Netflix, and my phone and Surface will likely be tied, just used more often contextually.

As it stands now, I only have the Comcast provided Dori, but I was under the impression that you could buy a Modem/Router combo commercially.
Since you don't have many devices and a lower internet speed pretty much anything will do. The combo linked below will work (I used to use the 6141 myself), or you can have one device like what you currently have and can get something like this.
ARRIS SurfBoard Extreme SBG6782-AC DOCSIS 3.0 AC1750 Cable Modem WiFi Router with build in MoCA (SBG6782-AC) - Newegg.com

The problem if you don't buy a modem AND a router is you'll still get charged by Comcast for the modem (even if you're not using the router part of it). Here's what I would recommend:

ARRIS SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Newegg.com

It comes with a free router right now as well. If the router isn't doing what you need it to, then I would recommend a TP-Link Archer C5 or C7.
Yes I know that, I was giving him an option. Some people don't realize that you need a router and a modem unless buying a 3rd party combo like the 6580.

These are both great looking devices. I had no idea they could get that expensive! I'll definitely be picking one of them up soon though. After having the CC router for a year I'll have almost paid for the higher end one of these two.

I've seen a lot of small issues with the all in one modem/router combos, so I tend to stay away from them. An example would be not connecting to a single laptop, yet that laptop was fine on any other AP. Security settings and factory resets didn't make a difference, either. It was, for whatever reason, not compatible.

Either way you go, though, you'll save money in the long run!

Back
Top Bottom