Best QoS WIRED Rounter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbOrdell

Solid State Member
I want to replace my old WIRED Dlink with a router that has Quality of Service (QoS) feature? Having a hard time finding many options. I don't want wireless. Any suggestions for a Home Network? 4 or 8 ports OK.
Thanks

Barb

This router, LINKSYS BEFSR81 has QoS, and is wired.....

QoS Capabilities Based on IEEE 802.1p and IP TOS/DS Greatly Reduces the Chance of Data Loss Based on Weighted Round-Robin (WRR)
Also has 8 ports.

HERE is a link to the SAME router's info at the Linksys page...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I don't use this router, nor do I have any experience with it.

Price range for a home network router I'd expect to be around $100? Maybe less? I think some of the better Linksys routers with QOS are wireless...but correct me if I'm wrong, don't most of them also have 4 ports just like a wired router? Can't I just turn off the wireless?

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with a model they like. Thanks.

Barb... please RE-READ my previous post.....

8 ports
NON-WIRELESS
UNDER $100

The underlined text are the links....
BTW, Cisco Systems is the Parent company of Linksys.

DJ Crhis.... as far as BEST... I personally wouldn't go Cisco....
Extreme Networks > Cisco.

BarbOrdell said:
Price range for a home network router I'd expect to be around $100? Maybe less? I think some of the better Linksys routers with QOS are wireless...but correct me if I'm wrong, don't most of them also have 4 ports just like a wired router? Can't I just turn off the wireless?

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with a model they like. Thanks.

All the modern linksys routers have been pretty crappy. This goes for V5 wireless and V4 wired routers.

You may want to check out the WRT54GL from linksys as it's a V4 WRT54G actually. It should still have QOS I believe, but you can doubble check that.

I have experince with lots of routers, from professional (cisco) to the home market stuff. I can give you a screenshot of what the QOS looks like on a V4 BEFSR41 if you want.

Oh yeah, the BEFSR81 is the same thing as the BEFSR41 but with 4 more ports.

DJ-Chris,
I searched on all of the part numbers provided and at least on Amazon.com I can't see any references to Q0S. Do I have to find a firmware upgrade somewhere to get this? I'm confused.

Also, let me clear up my comment about the wired ports. If you ignore the fact that a unit may provide wireless, do the 4 switch ports they advertize act just like a 4 port wired router?

Thanks for the comments so far!

BarbOrdell said:
DJ-Chris,
I searched on all of the part numbers provided and at least on Amazon.com I can't see any references to Q0S. Do I have to find a firmware upgrade somewhere to get this? I'm confused.

Also, let me clear up my comment about the wired ports. If you ignore the fact that a unit may provide wireless, do the 4 switch ports they advertize act just like a 4 port wired router?

Thanks for the comments so far!

Yes it's just like a wired router, but you can also use wireless clients. The router is EXACTLY the same.

This isn't entirely correct... If you replace your ROUTER with a SWITCH, you will have to change the way your network is set up...

Typically, your router will connect directly to your broadband modem, and your account info will be entered into your router. The computers then connect to the router, and by default, recieve the IP Addresses via DHCP.

With a SWITCH, you don't have the WAN port that you would on a router. Also, a switch operates at layer 2, using MAC addresses, not IP addresses, so you will NOT be able to do QOS on a switch. (talking about basic switches here, not layer 3 switches).

Prices between routers & switches are comparable at the home level....

As I posted in my FIRST post, and referenced in my SECOND post.... here are some LINKS for you....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124022 - LINKSYS BEFSR81 10/100Mbps EtherFast Cable/DSL Router - performs QOS... $80 before shipping.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...832205&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper - SAME ROUTER, but details about it from Linksys page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom