Best internet in rural areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huike

Beta member
I just recently moved to a rural area where literally no ISP provides service. No DSL Cable etc etc. Not even clearwire. I heard that 4g internet (ala mobile devices) can be pretty decent for gaming, like 30-40 ping. However I cannot find any provider that provides unlimited 4g with tethering or anything of the sort.

I need fast internet to keep doing my thing. If I have to settle for dialup or satellite I will probably stop gaming all together. Anyone have any idea what I should do in this situation?

4g isn't made for gaming.

I think your best bet would be satellite. Unsure what else you can do.

You don't get cable TV out there?

Well what i have is Directv+ AT'T internet and its pretty cheap since im a AAA member.

Directv is a great option because u can bundle it with AT'T or Verizon so maybe if the plan is right they will come out and install it for you.

Ya MOST 4G providers either block tethering or your data plan is limited. In fact Sprint is the only one that allows unlimited data now (and they are moving away from that), so you are going to pay a pretty penny for 4G gaming because of the data amount you are using.

ALso 4G isn't available in all rural areas, you need to check a coverage map.

dont really exist in rural areas lol.

if you ever move to a rural area, the best place to get a living space is near the telephone exchange, best speeds.
4G hasnt taken off in alot of places and sattelite could help, but its expensive for non-business users. you just have to put up with it. like many people.

Satellite will be your best bet, and IMO, they suck, but the best I have found is Hughesnet's higher end packages, but they cost a small fortune.

Satellite is the only practical option that should be available in all rural areas, however your latency will be horrible and likely very problematic for playing latency intensive games, especially FPS which requires split second timing. In my opinion LTE broadband or WiMax could prove sufficient as long as you can get the signal/bandwidth in your area. I've had positive experience using HSPA+ and WiMax myself for FPS gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom