Best firewall to share network

Status
Not open for further replies.

fb132

Solid State Member
I was wondering, I would like to share files with my other pc, I currently have Zone Alarm, but unless I put the Firewall at off, it simply wont work. So what can I do to share files while having both my PC protected?

fb132 said:
I was wondering, I would like to share files with my other pc, I currently have Zone Alarm, but unless I put the Firewall at off, it simply wont work. So what can I do to share files while having both my PC protected?

Try focusing your security on a hardware level router or firewall. You don't need internetwork protection like zone alarm.

Your linksys has a firewall built into it. It is probably on anyway. Go to the security tab and check that the firewall option is enabled. Your Zone Alarm firewall is just protecting you from other people on your network and probably monitoring outbound traffic. Your linksys will protect you from people on the internet, however is not going to offer much in the way of protection from malicious outbound traffic caused by trojans/spyware etc... on your computer.

However to keep zone alarm go into it's settings and open up the ports required. i cant remember off the top of my head what ports are required for filesharing - i think it is 445. Opening that will allow access to the computer through that port only.

there should be an option in ZA config to exclude local addresses LAN from firewalling, its commonly named as 'safe zone' 'trusted zone' etc, if there will be option to write a address range sth like 192.168.*.* or 10.0.*.* (depends what addresses your LAN uses) should work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom