Belkin: Worst product/tech support ever.

What about......

• surper site

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • earn money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Innadiated

Beta member
I have just experienced the worst 2 hours of my life.

I bought a belkin router, model #7230-4. It advertised a standard set of router features including virtual server. No where did it state on the box that port 80 could not be forwarded due to the remote admin listening on that port.

Now first, why the **** would I want WAN access remote admin? This is advertised as a feature by them (one that can not be turned off i might add), to me this seems like a useless security problem. You can of course limit the IP's allowed to use this remote admin utiliity, but then still, other ips just get a connection refused error. On top of all this, because the router is listening on my WAN on port 80, it refuses to forward port 80 to where I want, even after I enter it asa virtual server. Port 80 is also one of the examples they use in the virtual server doc, so clearly this should be allowed. Now, aside from the problems this is creating for me.. the question still remains, WHY THE DO I WANT WAN ADMIN? I'm not going to be sitting in a cyber cafe one daythinking, gee.. i can't wait till i get home to add this firewall rule, i need to do it right NOW!!!! and even if i did have some occurance like this, there's easy solutions, such as VNC.

Anyway, so I phone their tech support. They connect me to level1, naturally any gamer knows level 1 iswhere you begin, and i quickly found out Belkin treats their customers like AI in a game. Repeating the same crap over and over, thinking it doesn't learn.
Level 1 tech rep (#1, as you'll find out later) sends me through a huge list of tasks to "test" and ensure i set it up properly.. which was a waste of time obviously.. I'm a sys admin, not a windows xp user. I could have told himeverything in 2 minutes it took him 30 minutes to find out. So now we're finally on the same page, and ta da! no solution is found. I tell him this is an obvious firmware bug, and he sayshe will forward me to level 2. So he does, I wait 20 minutes listening to music that was only making me angrier. I hear a ring.. then dial tone.. THE *******S HUNG UP ON ME!!

Phone again.. level 1, forward to level 2... wait 15 minutes, and AGAIN I WAS HUNG UP ON!

Phone again.. level 1, I tell the retard on thep hone to not even bother talking to me, and ask his to speak to his supervisor. The supervisor asks me if this is the first time I have phoned belkin.. I replied "well, it's day1.. call 3". This gave him a clue, as he said he would look up my info. He says my problem has been escalated to level 2, and that he needs to transfer me. I tell him no f**king way. You bring level 2 to me, because transfer seems to actually mean disconnect. He says he will transferme directly, and I won't have to hold. He transfers me, and I hold.. and I hold.. and I hold.
Finally I actually get a level 2 rep. He starts putting me back through the steps level 1 did.. so i ask, i'm forwarded to level 2 because these steps didn't work.. why am i doing them again? To this he says "hold on, let me bring up your information".. i say don't bother, let me speak to YOUR manager.

I get his manager on the phone (its now been roughly 2 and a half hours of belhell tech support), and his manager tells me the router I bought is not capable of forwarding port 80, because the remote admin uses 80. He tells me to change my web server to port 81. I'm like.. uh yah, everyone loves typing in the port when they goto a URL, and google will easily find me now huh. I then ask, why does the router's box and features specifically advertise virtual servers, and why is port 80 the prime example.. this would lead peopleto believe you CAN forward port 80. And if i'm not mistaken, in the U.S. and Canada it's ILLEGAL to advertise features a product does not contain. This shut him up real fast, and told me to hold while he checked his resources.

15 minutes later, still on hold.. DIAL TONE! the f**kers did it again.

I didn't bother phoning back, I went and bought a Dlink.. everything works good now.

Want my advice on networking? F**k belkin, their products suck, their company sucks, their service sucks, and their tech sucks, and unless you have an entire afternoon you feel like wasting, you'll say F**K belkin too.

EDIT: I know there is lots of typos in my post, I'll fix them later.. I wrote this in a rage of fury.

first off they where right in treating you like a basic windows xp user they don't know who their talking to and some people act like they know it all but don't.

second yes you got a very bad service, you should have phoned back and lodged a complaint.

Also the only thing I like about belkin is they have online help, where its like instant messaging you type then they do, works well and probably better than a phone as long as your net connection is solid.

Personally I would complain to whatever branch supervises these matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom